Nappies and daycare

List childcare centres throughout NZ who support cloth use. List centres that don't support cloth use.
Bella's mama
TNN guru

Nappies and daycare

Post by Bella's mama » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:26 pm

I have DD enrolled full time in a Kindercare and yay...they are very happy to do cloth!

Just a few questions....

Do you name your children's nappies?

Do you send 'good' nappies? Am happy to make some cheap PUL ones for daycare, but would be happy for her to wear the nice minky ones too. Do nappies go 'missing' from daycares?
Sarah

ImageImage

ImageImage

Follow us on our family blog:
http://ramblingsofthekovacsfamily.blogspot.com/?spref=fb

CTmum
TNN addict

Post by CTmum » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:24 pm

We don't name the nappies as Tyler is the only one in nursery using cloth. Lots and lots of sposies in all the little cubbie holes........

And he gets to wear all of his flash ones and the not so flash ones.

But I don't think I would name them as they go straight in the wet bag I provide.

Resse
TNN guru

Post by Resse » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:48 pm

I did tend to send along the ones that were not so nice.

But I also kept a good check on which nappies had gone there for the day. (I wrote a list).

Once DH picked up DS, and when he came home there was a nappy missing. It was before a weekend. The following week we went in, and they said they couldn't find the nappy. I found it under the cupboard.

Why it was there, I dont know.
But the point I'm making is that I had kept track of the nappies so I knew there was one missing.
Renate
http://renate4scottie.blogspot.com/
My new blog called Inspirationz. Yah!!
Our amazing DS, May 2006
Our sweet DD, August 2008
Our gorgeous DS, September 2010

MT3
TNN nerd

Post by MT3 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:50 pm

We didnt name them but when they are getting ready to do change time as they take them out of their bag they would stick a bit of masking tape on them and write whom ever's name on them.

We supplied day care with a 4 lt icecream container (from the Plastic Box) and I made 4 drawstring bags out of fleece with toggles on them. On the first day I put the icecream container with Aliyah's name written on all four sides lined with one of the wetbags with the toggle pulled tight and put it on the shelf in the nappy room, then each night I would take the bag and replace it with the next days one. I found the fleece worked better because they are a bit sturdier and take wear and tear and the roughness of being tossed into school bags etc a bit better and a heap cheaper than making them out of PUL to.

I have found it an excellent way to manage nappies coming home from school, when we get home I just throw the bag into the laundry on the way past and deal with them when I put the nappies on once they kids are all in bed.

We don't have non school and school naps like we do with clothes, because apart from getting a bit of sand in them from time to time we have had no issues and the ABC here have been excellent with cloth.
Mummy to:

Alissa, Aliyah and Dwight

Bella's mama
TNN guru

Post by Bella's mama » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:56 am

Thanks ladies.

Kindercare have offered to rinse the dirty ones and put into a bag or bucket, so I am thinking the bag will have to be PUL to hold the excess water. Not sure if there are other cloth bottoms there...will check when I go in again. There are two rooms and I am not sure which room she will be going into at this stage.

I have to say I was quite impressed. Of all the daycares I looked at, only one would not do cloth, as they provided nappies themselves. I was pleasantly surprised!
Sarah

ImageImage

ImageImage

Noisybabe007
TNN nerd

Post by Noisybabe007 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:38 am

Hiya everyone - know it's been a while since you have been on this thread, but something that I am investigating at the moment - heading back to work in April...

BellasMama - I was suprised to hear Kindercare were okay with cloth - Kindercare in Henderson flat out said no, stating that it was un-hygenic!

:wall:
Ang - Wife to Wonderful DH S :smt049, Mummy to Gorgeous O :princess: - 16/4/09, our Miracle V :princess: 11/10/11, & Wee Man Lucas 02/06/13- as well as 2 kittys Zoe and Blue :cat: :cat:

ImageImageImage

Bella's mama
TNN guru

Post by Bella's mama » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:00 am

Noisybabe007 wrote:Hiya everyone - know it's been a while since you have been on this thread, but something that I am investigating at the moment - heading back to work in April...

BellasMama - I was suprised to hear Kindercare were okay with cloth - Kindercare in Henderson flat out said no, stating that it was un-hygenic!

:wall:

We looked at three kindercares on the shore/HBC who were all happy to do them. So is our ABC. The only centre that would not was a lolliepops opp Kristin, who provide their own sposies. I actually thought I would meet more resistance. ABC had two children in cloth when I asked, Orewa Kindercare had one and not sure about other kindercares(Greville rd and constellation were the ones we asked about and said they would).
Sarah

ImageImage

ImageImage

Noisybabe007
TNN nerd

Post by Noisybabe007 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:10 am

I was suprised that so many looked at me kind of funny when I asked about it, one even stating "but we supply the nappies" and I said it wasn't about the nappies, it was that O has been in cloth since birth!

Funny when Waitakere City Council are promoting cloth (even giving cloth nappies in the hospital to the parents) yet the daycares aren't really on board with it.....

A couple of people have suggested I show them O's nappys (pockets mostly) so they can see how easy they are, and that they just have to pop them into a bag/bucket for us to remove every day!

Hoping to educate a few more West Auckland centres about cloth - but bravo to the ones that support a parents choice already!

\:D/ :smt041 :thumb: :alright:
Ang - Wife to Wonderful DH S :smt049, Mummy to Gorgeous O :princess: - 16/4/09, our Miracle V :princess: 11/10/11, & Wee Man Lucas 02/06/13- as well as 2 kittys Zoe and Blue :cat: :cat:

ImageImageImage

AmberLeah
TNN nerd

Post by AmberLeah » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:36 pm

I don't actually see how a centre can not let you supply cloth in less of course they supply all the nappies. I would keep pushing if that's the centre that you want your child to attend then I would just supply cloth - do they have a policy stating that you can't take your child there in cloth? I would also go in armed with info as far as I'm aware (I could be wrong) there is nothing in the ministry of education regulations forbidding cloth nappy use in centres.
I take my DD to daycare in cloth then they provide disposables for the rest of the day. There was one baby short term that used cloth the whole time she was there - parent's choice :wink: :D

Facebook: "Angel Inspired"

Return to “Childcare Centres that Support Cloth (Public)”