Bum Genius One size pocket

aussiemum
TNN guru

Post by aussiemum » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:22 am

blairh wrote:Has anyone had any problems with the velcro coming undone on these while they are on? I've just had to refasten DS's one this morning about 4 times, I don't know whether the velcro is starting to wear out or what? He is 15 kg so probably above the 'official' weight limit but there is plenty of overlap around the waist to velcro, it seems more like the tab on one side is just coming unstuck. It is a nappy I bought second hand from a fellow TNNer but is less than a year old and is in good condition otherwise.
I am hoping there is a solution to this as I love the fit of these nappies and they are so easy for daycare. (My only other reviewing gripe would be the flap at the back for stuffing is hard to cover up when putting the nappy on so sometimes DS gets the insert rubbing on his skin - the flap almost needs a wee bit of velcro to hold it in place, or to be a bit longer).

Hermione

Yes! I'm glad I found someone else that this happened to. Josh's wouldn't stay done up, I tried going tighter, looser, more and less inserts, kept undoing! So DS is 15kg, wow he's a chunky monkey!
I'm Tamara, Mum to Gorgeous Joshie 9, Delightful David 6 & Step-Mum to Sweet Sarah 16
Adoptive Mum to Jess & Louise my furbabies.

"If it wasn't for the last minute, I wouldn't get anything done!"

Aitchy
TNN nerd

Post by Aitchy » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:37 am

aussiemum wrote:
Yes! I'm glad I found someone else that this happened to. Josh's wouldn't stay done up, I tried going tighter, looser, more and less inserts, kept undoing! So DS is 15kg, wow he's a chunky monkey!

So did you just give up on them? I thought it might be that I've put a hemp flat in there instead of one of my mf inserts, might be making it a bit stiffer or something. I will try it again with my usual 3x mf and see if that makes a difference, but I had a play with the velcro when I changed it and it does seem to be a bit less 'sticky'.

Yeah, DS has always been a big boy, he has slimmed down heaps since walking & I have only weighed him on airport scales ( :oops: ) and he was about 14.6kg a couple of months ago (15kg with a 2hr old morning nappy on haha). I look back at his baby photos and marvel at how chub he was, rolls everywhere ha ha.

Hermione

ms.belinda
TNN nerd

Post by ms.belinda » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:35 pm

Just thinking... have you checked that there's no lint stuck in the hooks on the closures? It's a pain, but you might need to have a pick with a fork or toothpick :wink:
Mum to 3 toilet-trained children of various ages and genders. ;)

Aitchy
TNN nerd

Post by Aitchy » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:47 pm

ms.belinda wrote:Just thinking... have you checked that there's no lint stuck in the hooks on the closures? It's a pain, but you might need to have a pick with a fork or toothpick :wink:

I've had a good look and there's nothing in the velcro. I may need to replace the velcro if it doesn't get any better, bit annoying for a onesize fits most nappy, you'd think it would last longer than a year.

Hermione

Arna
TNN guru

Post by Arna » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:12 pm

Hermoine, mine are just beginning to do the same thing :x , its a real nuisance as its all 3 of them & they are my night nappy & it happens no matter what, the only thing preventing them from coming undone is the fact Ash has a bodysuit on over them, and even then I've notice they have slipped. The velcro is all nice & clear of fluff/hair etc too.
What frustrates me even more is he's only been wearing them from about 9wks old, so he's only been wearing these for the last 8? weeks - brought new too :smt013
Other than that I'm pleased with them, but it looks like I'll be replacing the velcro in the very near future :? you'd think they'd be using a much better quality velcro being the one-size so that you can use them for their intended use from baby to toddler - mentioning that, its a real shame I purchased them from overseas as you could probably take them back to the retailer here as they are unfit for their intended purpose under the Consumers Act - a nappy which will do a child from baby to toddler... (although with the particular retailer of them here that would be impossible anyway :roll: ) I'm now trying out a Blueberry PUL one-size to see how theirs goes (already in love with the minky one) :wink:
mum to two not-so-little trouble-makers - Paije 7yrs & Ashton 4yrs
lost 10.1kgs & 36cms in my 8wk challenge - time to think about the next 10kgs!
Ticker

ms.belinda
TNN nerd

Post by ms.belinda » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:40 pm

Yeah, that's such a bummer! (Mind the pun - there's always a "bum" involved when we're talking nappies! LOL)

I've learned that there's really no such thing as a OSFA - and even if you buy a OSFA system, you'll have to replace them after 100 to 200 washes, so they're really just a One-Year thing, rather than a One-Time-Purchase, kwim?

The good news is, you're still saving money if you buy 25 new nappies every year! And, bumGenius have an excellent fit, absolutely excellent design, but really, snaps just last longer!

Have you considered putting snaps through the tabs?

Arna
TNN guru

Post by Arna » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:16 pm

I've thought about the snaps, but I don't have the heart to ruin them further :lol: I might if a new lot of velcro doesn't help/last :)
ETA: Sadly I won't be buying anymore either, 1 becasue of the troubles with the retailer/distibutor here & 2 now you cannot even bring them in from overseas because CBs? wont allow the retailers to send them out of the US so the retailers in your own countries have a chance :?
Ticker

ms.belinda
TNN nerd

Post by ms.belinda » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:41 pm

Arna wrote:I've thought about the snaps, but I don't have the heart to ruin them further :lol: I might if a new lot of velcro doesn't help/last :)
ETA: Sadly I won't be buying anymore either, 1 becasue of the troubles with the retailer/distibutor here & 2 now you cannot even bring them in from overseas because CBs? wont allow the retailers to send them out of the US so the retailers in your own countries have a chance :?

There are a few places that sell them - Snazzipants.co.nz, Mothersinstinct.co.nz, and Bumbles.co.nz

I've had nothing but good experiences with any of them - and if you were to have a complaint, you should contact Nurturenappies.com.au, who are the NZ/Aus distributors of CBs. Don't let one bad apple spoil the whole bunch!

Arna
TNN guru

Post by Arna » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:51 pm

ms.belinda wrote:There are a few places that sell them - Snazzipants.co.nz, Mothersinstinct.co.nz, and Bumbles.co.nz

Oh, I forgot all about Bumbles & MI & I've seen them there :oops: and didn't realise SPs was selling them now either, so that good - thanks for mentioning it, the problem doesn't put me off them entirely, just an inconvenience to fix :wink:
Ticker

aussiemum
TNN guru

Post by aussiemum » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:20 pm

I went for the money back guarantee thing, I thought, I'm not putting up with an self-undoing nappy!
I'm Tamara, Mum to Gorgeous Joshie 9, Delightful David 6 & Step-Mum to Sweet Sarah 16

Aitchy
TNN nerd

Post by Aitchy » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:15 pm

Yeah well I got them second hand so thems the breaks eh.... After my second hand fuzzis having the elastic go on them you think I would have learned. I think I must only buy new nappies from now on.

Hermione

aussiemum
TNN guru

Post by aussiemum » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:01 pm

blairh wrote:Yeah well I got them second hand so thems the breaks eh.... After my second hand fuzzis having the elastic go on them you think I would have learned. I think I must only buy new nappies from now on.

Hermione

Yeah, I've had a bit of disappointment with secondhand and thought I'd only buy new, but now I'm back buying secondhand!

aussiemum
TNN guru

Post by aussiemum » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:23 am

Hey guys I just got a message from Jan at YoYo Nappy is she is willing to fix the velcro on your Bumgeniuses for free! Just pay for postage. You can contact her at jan@yoyonapppy.com.

nzmum
TNN nerd

Post by nzmum » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:49 pm

I've had one of these in a reasonably large rotation for the last 4 months or so. I'm not seeing the velcro issues yet mentioned by previous posters but they haven't had an ultra hard life.

On the whole I like the nappy. The velcro tabs seem to automatically stick to the washing protection strip when I throw them in the bucket so I don't have to do anything special which I like. I find them a little awkward to stuff in comparison to my fuzzibunz and I don't like the way you seem to have to pull out the insert manually rather than shaking them out. However, having said that I would buy more as they are very reliable and I've had no leaks from them so far.
Jannene

Dorayaki
TNN addict

Post by Dorayaki » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:23 am

My second-hand BGs come undone at the velcro, and even the 'new' one (I used it for about ten months) has lost it's leg elastic now. I can't see how they can be marketed as fitting from birth to potty training when they'll wear out well before then.
Katy, full time working mum of B/G twins, now age seven
Expecting #3, a little boy, in August 2013

We <3 Wellington NICU!!

Return to “Pocket Nappies”