heavy wetter advice needed! PLEASE

onelilmonkey
TNN newbie

heavy wetter advice needed! PLEASE

Post by onelilmonkey » Sat May 15, 2010 12:15 pm

Hi there ladies!

I am very new on here and very new to cloth nappies!
I am using a new brand of cloth nappy but have found my lil man is a VERY HEAVY WETTER - we wet thru every time we wear cloth but I am determined to make it work but cant afford to buy one of each nappy to see whats best.

I am keen to make my own nappy's and would like some advcie I have found that some peeps use Hemp for their inserts instead of bamboo is it more absorbant.
My goal is to have the cloths working for me like the disposables my son can sleep at least 10hrs at night no leakage but not a chance in clothies!

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Janie
TNN nerd

Re: heavy wetter advice needed! PLEASE

Post by Janie » Sat May 15, 2010 12:37 pm

Leaking with a heavy wetter is due to the amount of absorbancy you add as well as the fabric you choose.

How old is your child, and what works in the day for you? What have you tried already?

You need to accept that the night nappies are unlikely to be as trim as a sposie, and that you may have a bubble-butted child once you cram it full of absorbancy... surprising enough most kids still manage to sleep with their bums in the air. This often means that you need to upsize the pocket for nights, and you need to choose one with a wide crotch so you can fit the stuffing in.

Inserts wise - try trifolds so that you have something that absorbs well yet is quicker to dry. Have you tried using the cotton flats (red stripe)? They can work very effectively and you may have some at home to try already. Hemp and bamboo are often a personal preference, but it might pay to stay away from microfibre as it can squish the pee out again instead of absorbing it.

Good luck! It can be a bit of trial and error until you get it right.
DS1 July 2007
DS2 Nov 2010

Middy
TNN guru

Re: heavy wetter advice needed! PLEASE

Post by Middy » Sat May 15, 2010 12:49 pm

Having a heavy wetter can be so frustrating!

We have mostly used homemade pockets and after much trial and error (and many damp pairs of trousers!) we have found good old cotton flats like Janie has described to be the most reliable. Bamboo is good, but an expensive option if you are still needing to change every 2.5 hours, as we do. We found microfibre to be pretty hopeless, as it squished back out as soon as it was drenched.

Overnight, we found Ecobubs wool pockets with 2 flats and 2 bamboo trifolds to work most of the time, but with our heaviest wetter, I ended up giving up and using sposies overnight with a cover as I couldn't keep up with the washing and drying. Many people have success with fitted nappies and covers, but we didn't find them any better than the Ecobubs.
Sophie: April 20, 2007 and Caleb: September 12, 2008 and...
http://db-bellzone.blogspot.com/

Return to “All-in-Ones”