Market Research - Cloth nappy shop Wellington

frannym
TNN nutter

Post by frannym » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:37 pm

yes i agree, the name will just come to you (eventually) and you will know it is right.

for me - I was just doodling one day with a whole list of names related to breasts and booby pads etc. I then i just happened to doodle a face inside the B (you know how little kids make faces from letters like O by drawing eyes and mouth inside teh circle). then the next thign i knew the face turned into a nipple, and voila! at that stage i had no idea that i would have a whole range of breastfeedign products so i am lucky that the name is still appropriate and not just suited to breast pads!
Mum to Angus and Lochie

Founder of http://www.breastmates.co.nz

FluffyMail
TNN guru

Post by FluffyMail » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:53 pm

frannym wrote:yes i agree, the name will just come to you (eventually) and you will know it is right.

for me - I was just doodling one day with a whole list of names related to breasts and booby pads etc. I then i just happened to doodle a face inside the B (you know how little kids make faces from letters like O by drawing eyes and mouth inside teh circle). then the next thign i knew the face turned into a nipple, and voila! at that stage i had no idea that i would have a whole range of breastfeedign products so i am lucky that the name is still appropriate and not just suited to breast pads!

I love it! a great name and the b with the boobies is cute :lol:
now FluffyMail formally ittibittinz
Karyn - Mum to Jakob 9 and Isaac 6
NZ Distributor of itti bitti and ones&twos

Image Image

itti bitti FACEBOOK page
ones & twos FACEBOOK page

LemonNZ
TNN guru

Post by LemonNZ » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:38 am

I think you will find that Lesley Williamson of Littlies Ltd (a.k.a. Littlies Magazine) has trademarked the word and device Littlies...also Plunket has a trademard on the word so until 2010 I wouldn't be treading on the toes of big companies like that.

You might also need to find an intelectual properties lawyer to help you check out the trademark and company names before you spend money on logos. My sister-in-law had issues with their jet boat company because they had Southern Alps in the name and another south island company had Alpine in the name so they took them to court. Not something a new company needs is huge legal fees so best to spend the small amount of a couple of hundred dollars up front and get it all legal and on your side.

As far as the block of shops goes there are days when that whole foot path on the book shop side is blocked with pedestrians so great from a business point of view but might not win friends with the neighbouring businesses if you have buggies parked everywhere. Also as far as changing table I think that is great but I would be checking with health and safety over your needs to provide hand washing or sanitising etc. too. Also isn't the toilet block at shared by the cafe, book shop, Labour Party etc. you can give keys to the customer to unlock them. They aren't that nice and clean and no one seems to take responsibility for them. Also I got stuck with a friends toilet learner and asked at the book shop for the key...theirs was missing, ran to the cafe...no theirs had not been returned either so I had to make a run for the community centre in Bay Rd instead. :roll: Not sure how many keys you are allowed to get cut but that would annoy me as a business owner lossing customers that had to flee the shop and race home to find a toilet.

nikkitheknitter
TNN nerd

Post by nikkitheknitter » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:03 pm

Yeah... just checked out the shop. Hrmmmmmmm is all I can say. [-(

My business partner also decided she has over-committed herself too so can't be a part of it.

So it might not happen until after I finish my degree!!!! ARGH!!!! And by then the opportunity may have gone.

Ah well... going to do cloth demos in the mean time and keep working towards the shop when I finish my two papers.
Mama to the Red Headed Devil Child and newbie arriving late Jan 2015.

posh
TNN oracle

Post by posh » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:22 pm

:( Sorry to hear this - was really looking forward to the shop :(
Anastasia - wahm to 3 x Image

SALE & CLEARANCE items!!!

At least Steve Irwin died doing what he loved, tracking wild animals in the open sea. When it's my time to go, I hope I'm online shopping

20 years in the making, but finally achieved!!! --->

nikkitheknitter
TNN nerd

Post by nikkitheknitter » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:54 pm

Welllll... it depends if I can do my next two hons papers over two years. From the Vic website it appears that hons can only be taken part-time over two years... I'd be stretching it to three.

I reeeeeeeeeally wanna do it!

I'm thoroughly sick of studying and depending on the government for money.

Argh.

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:34 pm

Completely missed this thread before now.

Have you seen this store? http://www.mumandbubs.co.nz/kiwi.htm

I visited a few weeks ago and I was really impressed with the "wow, look at all those gorgeous soft feeling nappies!" appearance.

There were quite a number of customers visiting while we were there, most who bought something. Although I suspect most of those were buying the new CCC subsidised starter packs. (Which btw I think is really good timing to support M&Bs)

IMO you would need to have other items to keep the store afloat as cloth nappies are so readily available online where there aren't the large expenses of rent/power/advertising etc (but yes, touching them is great). And lots of $ to build up stock levels, etc.

Umm, just been chatting on the phone to a friend while typing this. A physical shop is a great idea (she wants to go into M&Bs to check out which subsidy pack she will buy). And I've lost my train of thought! BBL if I remember what I was going to say :oops:
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

nikkitheknitter
TNN nerd

Post by nikkitheknitter » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:52 pm

Yep - that's where I got my inspiration (/ripped off what she came up with!)

Now I don't wanna do uni. Too grumpy.

Might still be doing cloth demos etc.

And yep with the other stock. I had so many people with great NZ products to sell!!! :cry:

hoaenz
TNN guru

Post by hoaenz » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:18 pm

Keep your eye out - you never know when a shop is going to move somewhere else - the perfect place may just appear!
Anthea
-----------------------------------------------

mum of four
TNN nerd

Post by mum of four » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:54 am

Hi

I also live in Lyall Bay and think it would be a great idea, but think you would need a variety of stock (different wahms items). Its a pity that the new complex by the airport doesn't do smaller shops.

My friend at present is hoping to open up a cafe in February there and also Kathmandu is opening soon + shu bar is going in at some stage soon.
Also .... a childrens clothing shop maybe coming (Pumpkin Patch or another?) but that one is only here say.

If and when you open up your shop you have to make sure that my double buggy can fit through the door.

Good luck.

Minty
TNN oracle

Post by Minty » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:00 pm

I was just thinking again about possible shop locations, and I think the thing in favour of a cloth nappy shop is that it's sufficiently unique to not need to be in a major foot traffic area. While foot traffic would be nice, when people are looking at something like MCNs, they are prepared to travel a reasonable distance to have a look and feel (after all, it's not like sposies that you have to buy every week, you probably only need to visit once ever or perhaps a few times). If it's aggressively marketed so that lots of people know about it, then you can possibly survive in a cheaper rental place that's a bit 'out-of-the-way'.
Nic
Two funny, gorgeous DDs.

The art of living is more like wrestling than dancing. — Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

Going button-crazy here. http://www.buttonsbybenji.blogspot.com/

nikkitheknitter
TNN nerd

Post by nikkitheknitter » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:40 pm

Yes... *sigh* still dreaming about my shop... atleast when I do actually get around to opening it, I'll have had a million and one ideas and time to get them sorted!

In the mean time am starting cloth demos and doing MCN parties - a la tupperware. hehehe Ah well.. it's a start :lol:

Return to “Cloth Nappy websites and resources (Public)”