swim nappy question...

jeshiko
TNN guru

swim nappy question...

Post by jeshiko » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:36 pm

Finn has always worn disposable swim nappies because I thought I had to put him in them as all other bubs in his class wear them. So can I go ahead and use a cloth pair in a public pool?? Also do them hold wee back?
Finn Peter 2006, Mikko Alexander 2008, Kasper Svend 2010 and...

Angel
TNN guru

Post by Angel » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:43 pm

Swim nappies arent absorbant... the disposable ones would puff up within seconds and reusables would become heavy and probably fall off. They're really only designed to keep solid matter in - and in the case of reusable swim nappies, look super cute!

I think it depends on the particular swimming pool as to whether or not they have a problem with you using a reusable swim nappy, but hopefully you wont get any concerns (just lots of questions from other parents wanting to know where to get such cute swim naps! :D ).
Aimee http://www.ravelry.com/projects/angeldunedin
~ Ella - 11 years old ~ Toby - 8.5 years old ~ Olivia - 5.5 years old ~
ImageImage

Jessp
TNN nerd

Post by Jessp » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:45 pm

I am sure I saw JK advertising Swim nappies has anyone else seen this or am I going (even more) mad
Jess
Busy Mum to three Monkeys

ariayla

Post by ariayla » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:02 pm

Na, your not going mad - I saw them too. They in their latest catalogue.

Judy
TNN nerd

Post by Judy » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:19 am

And I've seen them in real life - they're pretty cute - the girl ones have ruffles on the back.

Some pools have a policy against resuables (though I recently spoke to someone who said they put their disposable ones through the washer & dryer!).

Like Angel said - they aren't absorbant, & nor are the disposable ones - they're just for "containment"
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2106/2186177705_c42a1388d3_m.jpg[/img] Hip and Side Snap patterns in newborn through extra large for sale by request.

Janine
TNN nerd

Post by Janine » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:51 am

For swimming lessons at The Waterhole in Akld you are not allowed to wear disposable swim naps - they would prefer your bubs just wore a swimsuit or cloth!
Janine
DS-M - 11/03/05
DS-B - 03/09/07
DDs-R & J - 09/06/09

themuelsmum
TNN nutter

Post by themuelsmum » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:15 am

I know most people re-use disposable swim naps a couple of times, but cloth ones are much better. I have a funky bunz one which has been great for over a year, and I've just been given a bambino mio one but it's a bit gapy around the legs yet.

I'd check with the pool on the swim nap policy, but most dont have a problem with cloth they just don't want accidents because they have to close the pool for an hour and clean it.
Nicky SAHMum to Sam'themuel' born 14 July 04 and now Rob the monster born 17 Dec 06.

Occasionally popping my head out of the sludge of running round after three demanding boys :-)

jeshiko
TNN guru

Post by jeshiko » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:41 pm

Yay - got a pair of Popolini ones (Brand I am now selling) and they are great and soooo cute! Only $14.95!! can't wait to show them off at the pools but Finn and I both have colds so we have to wait.....
Finn Peter 2006, Mikko Alexander 2008, Kasper Svend 2010 and...

Louise
TNN oracle

Post by Louise » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:00 pm

themuelsmum wrote:I know most people re-use disposable swim naps a couple of times,

What the??? Do they dry it out or something?? That must be awfully uncomfortable the second or third time!!!! For the cost of a pack of huggies swimmers you can buy a nice cloth swim nappy, why even bother with the throw-away swimmers? I've never bought them.
Mum of 6

sable
Spinning Goddess

Post by sable » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:32 pm

For the disposable ones you pop them through the wash and then dry on the line and they're fine for several wearings (unless soiled of course)
I used to do this before I discovered cloth.
Rachelle
http://raciebaby.blogspot.com/

Pookee
TNN guru

Post by Pookee » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:18 pm

Hehe - I never even asked my swim school about whether they are OK with a cloth swim nappy - I just went ahead and took S to lessons with a cloth swim nappy on.

So far so good (I have a bummis cow print wrap), though I"m liking the look of the funky bumz and splash about nappies!
Mel

ClareBear
TNN nerd

Post by ClareBear » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:09 pm

There's nothing wrong with disposable swimmers used a few times - they're still quite soft and usable! Cloth is probably a good option, but if you've already bought a packet of disposables I wouldn't stress. I used one packet of huggies size small swimmers, which, with each one washed a few times meant they lasted til she grew out of them, that cost less than one pair of reusable ones and it meant i always had some spares. I'd like to go cloth for the next one though, as if you're planning on a few kids the disposable option gets dearer!

Return to “Swimmers”