Dyeing a woollen blanket

jennyo
TNN nerd

Dyeing a woollen blanket

Post by jennyo » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:18 am

Not sure it anyone will even read this anymore!

But I have a woollen blanket (single) that I'd like to dye. Anyone know how to do it? Google hasn't been a lot of help to me. Mostly found things about yarn dyeing. I did find one thing about cutting up the blanket to dye it but I'd like to do the whole thing in one piece (and it involved microwaving it, so it's not like I can adapt the method!

j-j
TNN guru

Re: Dyeing a woollen blanket

Post by j-j » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:42 am

Hi dee hi! Stopped by for the first time and saw this :)
So, have you a pot you could fit a wet blanket into? And getting even colour and saturation wouldn't be easy! I've tried dyeing blanks before that I microwave set after painting on the colour, but I guess your difficulty would be finding a way to heat it all to set it.
Julia - Knitting nut and mum to 3 delicious children: DD - 9, DS#1 - 7 and DS#3 - 5

Knitting Pattern Designer of The Little Rascals, Poplar, Katniss, Primrose, Greyson patterns - available HERE

Kaz
TNN guru

Post by Kaz » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:46 pm

Could you find a different dye that doesn't need to be heated. Failing that could you soak it in a tub then put it in the clothes dryer? :hide: not sure what it would do to the dryer though.
You can never really take control of your life but you can control how you choose to live it.

jennyo
TNN nerd

Post by jennyo » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:49 pm

Thanks for the replies.

What kind of dye Kaz? I don't have any experience with dyes at all, so not sure even where to start.

Kaz
TNN guru

Post by Kaz » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:59 am

I haven't bought dye for a long time but you used to be able to buy 'cold set' dyes. They are very chemical though. There are some atural dyes that you use either salt or vinegar as the mordant but I think some need heat to set them as well.
You can never really take control of your life but you can control how you choose to live it.

Return to “DIY everything else”