Rav Help

jhcsmum
TNN nerd

Rav Help

Post by jhcsmum » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:02 pm

When you find a pattern is there anyway to see if there is any yarn in your stash that would suit the pattern automatically?

I've spied Hermonie Hearts Ron http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library ... hearts-ron
in another thread and wonder if I have anything suitable for it, i'm not that good with working out if I have anything suitable, and as it uses small needles and 5ply, I was thinking some vintage purls, but then others have used worsted and 8 ply.
Last edited by jhcsmum on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deb
Stitch Marker Maker
Image Image

Miss Shelley
TNN guru

Re: Rav Help

Post by Miss Shelley » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:34 pm

If you look at the tabs along the top of the pattern, one of them is 'yarn ideas'.... click that and then along the top under those same tabs it shows if you have any yarn in your stash that matches what other people have knitted the pattern in

i.e. on that pattern mine says
2 yarns are in your stash: show all yarns | show stashed yarns
Shelley :)
(Mum to T and L )

jhcsmum
TNN nerd

Post by jhcsmum » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:38 pm

Thanks, none of mine must be suitable then, cause it just brings up the 29 yarns that people have used the most :(
Deb
Stitch Marker Maker
Image Image

Mazz

Post by Mazz » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:43 pm

I also click on the projects link (on the right, at the bottom of the About this pattern box), to see what other people have done with the pattern and what yarns they've used. Often it gives me confidence to use one in my stash if I can see it's similar or the same.
ETA: you can also use the search function in the 'projects' page to search for projects that mention 8ply or a certain yarn name, which might give you a needle size someone has already tested to make that pattern work.

jhcsmum
TNN nerd

Post by jhcsmum » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:07 pm

Thanks I've trawled thru a lot of the project pages for it and haven't come up with anything I have yet, but I don't have much obviously :oops:
I'll try the searching thing, thanks very much. I really want to knit it but I don't really want to spend any more money on yarn.
Deb
Stitch Marker Maker
Image Image

jhcsmum
TNN nerd

Post by jhcsmum » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:08 pm

Thanks I've trawled thru a lot of the project pages for it and haven't come up with anything I have yet, but I don't have much obviously :oops:
I'll try the searching thing, thanks very much. I really want to knit it but I don't really want to spend any more money on yarn.
Deb
Stitch Marker Maker
Image Image

RachaelD
TNN nerd

Post by RachaelD » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:21 am

There are quite a few projects that have used dk or worsted weight yarn, and the project notes show the mods they used...

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/maudelb ... hearts-ron
Rachael, Mum to Melissa 5/6/05 and Hannah 2/10/06... and now Archie the Miniature Schnauzer

Read about our USA trip here... 293 days and counting...

On Instagram here.

Handknits for Children, plus some accessories for the Mum's too.
More info on my Blog, Facebook page or PM for details.

Return to “Yarns Crafts (knitting, crochet etc)”