Where to buy cotton and/or bamboo yarn?

MJ(Sam's Mummy)
TNN nerd

Where to buy cotton and/or bamboo yarn?

Post by MJ(Sam's Mummy) » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:55 pm

The only place I can think of is spotlight, do they sell this in the right weights for dishcloths and for tops/cardigan etc for littlies (planning on trying a paige babydoll next). I'm getting a bit confused over weights and plys too atm :oops:
Maree
DS1 - Sam 5th April 2007
DS2 - Tom 9th Nov 2008
DD1 - Isla 25th Feb 2014

nikkitheknitter
TNN nerd

Re: Where to buy cotton and/or bamboo yarn?

Post by nikkitheknitter » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:58 pm

Ply is sometimes confusing because something can be 1 ply but double-knit weight. The ply is how many strands make up the yarn.

I reckon you could knit dishcloths with any weight but I'd get something that was double-knit (or 8 ply, most commonly, prob especially with cotton).

But yeah, spotty is prob your best bet. I haven't had much success with knitworld for that kind of stuff. Unless you're looking at online - Bendigo woollen mills used to do a decent range of cottons which were miles nicer than the stuff at spotlight IMO.
Mama to the Red Headed Devil Child and newbie arriving late Jan 2015.

Claude30
TNN guru

Post by Claude30 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:59 pm

MJ(Sam's Mummy) wrote:The only place I can think of is spotlight, do they sell this in the right weights for dishcloths and for tops/cardigan etc for littlies (planning on trying a paige babydoll next). I'm getting a bit confused over weights and plys too atm :oops:
Spotlight sells bamboo cotton, Moda Vera, its says its worsted but it really is dk, http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/mo ... boo-cotton. Or there is sugar and cream http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/brands/pis ... ing-co-inc that you can buy from a nz supplier just cant think of who it is. Will see if I can find it.

Otherwise I know a few people that have been destashing Anchor magicline (which is now a deleted line) on Fb destash page https://www.facebook.com/groups/382793988475329/ but cant think who it was but I think they where a tnner. May have been trish?

Or look on Rav and search in yarns for bamboo cotton and see whos destashing local.

ETA http://www.yarnz.co.nz/yarn/sugar-n-cream-cotton.html
Kiley - SAHM to - Caycee (8/03), Stefanie (6/05), Brody (12/06), Keegan (5/10) and
Image Image

Claude30
TNN guru

Post by Claude30 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:04 pm

Or TM

http://www.trademe.co.nz/crafts/knittin ... 794495.htm

Bearing in mind I havent knit with sugar and cream but desire to :wink:
Kiley - SAHM to - Caycee (8/03), Stefanie (6/05), Brody (12/06), Keegan (5/10) and
Image Image

Foxtrot
TNN nerd

Post by Foxtrot » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:31 am

I get my sugar and cream cotton for dishcloths here http://www.yarnz.co.nz/yarn/sugar-n-cre ... n.html?p=2. It seems to be the best price I've found so far.
Bernadine
Image Image Image
Angel baby Feb 2010

“A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.” Roald Dahl

MJ(Sam's Mummy)
TNN nerd

Post by MJ(Sam's Mummy) » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:21 am

Thanks :D Does anyone know if the sugar and cream cotton is any good for clothing too? It says on the yarnz site that it's good for kitchen and bathroom projects, does that mean it's not soft enough for baby tops?
And while I have your attention :D , what happens if I knit something that specifies worsted weight with dk? (I've been googling weights, so hope I got that the way I meant it lol
Maree
DS1 - Sam 5th April 2007
DS2 - Tom 9th Nov 2008
DD1 - Isla 25th Feb 2014

Foxtrot
TNN nerd

Post by Foxtrot » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:50 am

MJ(Sam's Mummy) wrote:Thanks :D Does anyone know if the sugar and cream cotton is any good for clothing too? It says on the yarnz site that it's good for kitchen and bathroom projects, does that mean it's not soft enough for baby tops?
And while I have your attention :D , what happens if I knit something that specifies worsted weight with dk? (I've been googling weights, so hope I got that the way I meant it lol
If you knit something that needs say 4.5mm needles and worsted weight yarn with 4.5mm needles and DK, it will be a much looser weave fabric so it won't look as nice and it will probably stretch out of shape really easily and be a bit smaller in size than it should be. I wouldn't recommend it. If you use DK yarn with the right size needles for DK (3.75mm or 4mm ish) the garment will be a smaller size (so if you knitted to the 12 months size pattern it might turn out about 6months size or so??). If you don't mind what size it turns out (ie a baby present that they will need to grow into anyway, or a scarf where it will still fit no matter how wide/long it is) then I'd do it.

ETA - and you could knit clothing with sugar and cream, it's just that it's worsted weight (quite thick) so would make a very bulky, heavy garment. I think DK weight would make nicer clothing.
Bernadine
Image Image Image
Angel baby Feb 2010

“A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.” Roald Dahl

Petals
TNN guru

Post by Petals » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:36 am

STOP

No, don't do it. Not yet anyway. Cotton, bamboo etc are a curse for knitting garments. It stretches and has no give, no memory, doesn't reshape. It will look lovely and then you will wash it and have to put it away until it fits her again next summer. At this stage in your knitting career please use something less tricky. Then come back to cottons for the following summer.

If you look at that pattern on Ravelry, one of the tabs is Yarn Ideas and it shows the yarns that others have used for that particular pattern. And you can see all the projects made in each yarn, so you can see how that yarn performs for that pattern. If you look through you will notice that almost all of the projects use a wool or a wool blend. Even an 80%/20% cotton/wool mix would give you some stretch. You can see that Magicline has been used three times, all by Rachel, and that she made accommodations for the sizing because she knows that it stretches. There are a couple of other cottons that people have used (Patons Leila, Rowan Denim, Sugar&Cream, Wooltopia) and someone used Cleckheaton Bamboo to knit just the bodice (without the weight of the skirt it probably won't stretch too badly).

Also you can look at the yarn pages and look through the projects and get an idea of how each one performs in a garment, even if nobody has knitted the particular pattern you're knitting. If nobody is knitting garments with it there's probably a reason! I guess most people photograph and write about their project before they've worn and washed it a couple of times, so bear that in mind.
Kylie

MJ(Sam's Mummy)
TNN nerd

Post by MJ(Sam's Mummy) » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:00 pm

Ok, I should still be ok to do dishcloths though, right? Doesn't matter if they stretch or get out of shape a bit? Really I wanted to do the dishcloths to practise and perhaps learn some new stitches, learn to read patterns a bit better etc and while I could do that with any yarn, I'd rather have something useful at the end of it. But if cotton is going to be difficult for clothes for me for now, I'll give it a miss and just knit in wool and knit it for next winter. I'll just have to do some sewing for summer instead :D
Maree
DS1 - Sam 5th April 2007
DS2 - Tom 9th Nov 2008
DD1 - Isla 25th Feb 2014

Petals
TNN guru

Post by Petals » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:34 pm

Yes do some dishcloths and get some nice thick kitchen cotton for it - I like dish cloths for the same reason, trying out new stitch patterns and having something useful. And it makes me smile to use them :D Just steer clear of garments in cotton at this stage. If you have some nice soft light wool then you could make a summer garment - look through the projects, there are loads of beautiful summer Paige Babydolls being worn in much hotter climates than ours.
Kylie

Foxtrot
TNN nerd

Post by Foxtrot » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:47 pm

Absolutely still do the dishcloths with cotton. Petals is right that cotton is harder to knit with as it has no give in it, but something small like a dishcloth shouldn't be too annoying for you even if the knitting is harder going, and it's a good way to practice different stitches and still have something useful at the end of it.

This is my fav dishcloth pattern http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library ... elds-cloth. It's interesting to knit, and the ridges make it nice and scrubby for washing dishes. Some of the lacier patterns I've found are not quite as good for actually doing dishes with because of the holey bits in the lace. Fun to practice patterns on though. And everyone can get dishcloths in their Christmas stockings this year :lol:
Bernadine
Image Image Image
Angel baby Feb 2010

Claude30
TNN guru

Post by Claude30 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:03 am

Thats where I learnt most of my knitting basics on dishcloths such a great place to start.

You can still do some lovely summer knits, there are a lot of nice little girlly patterns for summer tops and skirts that work well for summer time.
Image Image

Petals
TNN guru

Post by Petals » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:03 pm

Foxtrot wrote:This is my fav dishcloth pattern http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library ... elds-cloth.
Do you have the pattern downloaded or printed or written down by any chance :pray: The website is down and half my queued dishcloths are from that site :(
Kylie

MJ(Sam's Mummy)
TNN nerd

Post by MJ(Sam's Mummy) » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:06 pm

I do :D what do you need to know? Or I can scan and email it to you tomorrow morning?
Maree
DS1 - Sam 5th April 2007
DS2 - Tom 9th Nov 2008
DD1 - Isla 25th Feb 2014

Petals
TNN guru

Post by Petals » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:01 pm

Thanks - I found it on the wayback machine :lol:
Kylie

Return to “Yarns Crafts (knitting, crochet etc)”