Machine Faults - Checklist

bowhunt
TNN addict

Machine Faults - Checklist

Post by bowhunt » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:25 pm

Upper Thread Keeps Breaking
    Needle bent or burred - Replace
    Wrong size needle or thread - Replace
    Top tension too tight - Lossen tension (anti-clockwise)
    Thread jumped out of tension - Re-thread
    Machine improperly threaded - Ammend
    Bad cone of thread - Replace
    Hook and base damaged - File smooth
    Thread building up in base groove - Remove build up

Lower Thread Keeps Breaking

Bobbin overspinning inside case - Insert overspin spring or a drop of oil behind spool
    Spool tension too tight - Loosen tension slightly
    Spool threaded wrong - Check threading
    Spool wound too tight or uneven - Replace and check if spool winder is correctly threaded
    Lint or thread in spool case - Clean
    Lint or thread inside hook - Clean
    Spool case or spool nicked, bent or burred - Change spool case
    Throatplate hole damaged - Replace
    Hook and base damaged - File smooth

Machine Started Skipping Stitches

Needle bent or burred - Replace
    Needle set in crooked or back to front - Reset
    Machine timing out - Re-time
    Thread jumped off take-up spring - Check threading

Stitch Faults
    Forming loops on top of the cloth - Tighten spool tension or loosen top tension
    Forming loops on bottom of cloth - Tighten top tension
    Spool thread slipped from under tension - Re-thread spool case
    Lint or thread in tensions (top and/or bottom) - Clean throughly

I hope you find this helpful, I know I have. :smt045
Jen

garbanzo bean
TNN nerd

Post by garbanzo bean » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:54 am

That's a handy list there, thanks Jen.

My machine has been skipping and it's never done this before. It's getting a few hours up now and is bottom of the range machine. I gave a good clean as per instructions but didn't improve. I was wondering if it needed re-timing as in your description but 'how' do you do that :-k :smt100
Tara

SAHM to DS 2003 and DD 2005

bowhunt
TNN addict

Post by bowhunt » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:25 pm

Hey Tara

Have you tried changing the needle? That usually fixes most stitch faults.

Machine timing is real tricky, you need to have the needle at its lowest point then rise it 1.6 - 2mm where the hook point of the bobbin case housing should sit in the scarf of the needle. Thats on a Brother industrial. If your machine instructions don't say how to re-set it I'd say you would be best to send it in to the sewing machine repair guy if you want the timing done.

Sorry that probably isn't much help, good luck. Drizzling here today
Jen

Anonymous

Hey presto!!

Post by Anonymous » Mon May 22, 2006 10:42 pm

Well, a long time ago i was having problems with my sewing machine, so i put it away, saw this thread and decided to see if i could fix it, and it works again, lol, thanks, never would have pulled it out otherwise :D

bowhunt
TNN addict

Post by bowhunt » Tue May 23, 2006 9:15 am

Awesome

I was given this checklist when I was at Polytech doing Fashion and Design, its saved me lots of $$ and lots of stress. Glad its helped you too. :D
Jen

Tinkerbell
TNN guru

Post by Tinkerbell » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:42 am

can anyone suggest a quick fix, dam cotton keeps getting stuck and jamming in the bobbin case? Do I need a new machine???

bowhunt
TNN addict

Post by bowhunt » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:56 am

Is it a build up of thread? Maybe your bobbin is over spinning in the case? There are some screws on the bobbin case you can tighten.
When your bobbin is in the case and threaded you should be able to dangle it by the thread and it should stay there and not slip, but also not feel too tight - in that case loosen the bobbin case screws. Hope that makes sense/helps
Jen

Tinkerbell
TNN guru

Post by Tinkerbell » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:01 am

thanks jen will go try that now :D

sable
Spinning Goddess

Post by sable » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:35 pm

I find I get thread caught in the bobbin area if there's a collection of fluff just under the feed dogs. A clean of that area always fixes it for me.
Rachelle
http://raciebaby.blogspot.com/

Tinkerbell
TNN guru

Post by Tinkerbell » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:30 pm

thanks Rachelle, I checked that and found it loaded with fluff. Fingers crossed I will be sewing again soon :wink:

helen
TNN nerd

grr machine

Post by helen » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:21 pm

works great sometimes and other times drives me mad-as the way with machinary in general.
it gets stuck so to speak. stitches in 1 spot always before starts to sew(has done this since service-is it normal). but also gets stuck and wont move just sews on the spot-at start or during. not sure what it is. changed needle and checked tensions. wuldnt think needed an oil as as serviced not long ago and been used maybe 6 times since for short times.
any ideas for help welcome. dont fancy another service at $90 (already had t take it back after was serviced)
i have a bernette 60 machine

Louise
TNN oracle

Post by Louise » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:28 pm

My machine has difficulty on thin microfleece fabric. It only starts moving once I yank it through. Also whenever I have it on zig-zag it does a couple of zig-zag stitches and then seems to skip and do a couple of straight stitch every now and then. Not very tidy or professional looking!!!

Also, my bobbin thread catches somehow so that each time I finish sewing and pull my material away from the machine to cut threads there are two threads on the bottom. What causes that?
Mum of 6

helen
TNN nerd

the

Post by helen » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:48 pm

2 threads at the bottom is the bottom tension needs adjusting i think

sable
Spinning Goddess

Post by sable » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:17 pm

Louise wrote:My machine has difficulty on thin microfleece fabric. It only starts moving once I yank it through. Also whenever I have it on zig-zag it does a couple of zig-zag stitches and then seems to skip and do a couple of straight stitch every now and then. Not very tidy or professional looking!!!

Also, my bobbin thread catches somehow so that each time I finish sewing and pull my material away from the machine to cut threads there are two threads on the bottom. What causes that?

I usually get the zig-zag problem if I'm using the wrong type of needle or an old needle. It could also be your timing which needs an expert

I get the 2-thread problem in the bobbin if I haven't taken the needle to its highest position.

HTH
Rachelle
http://raciebaby.blogspot.com/

helen
TNN nerd

more problems

Post by helen » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:38 pm

im trying to sew a pocket and the fleece just wont sew-for the casing no mater what i try. i've gone throug all the numbers on the top tension and none make aot of difference or if it works slightly alright on scrap wont work on actual pocket. it does huge stitches and just wont sew. anyone else had the problem any ideas. changed needle, checked bobbin rethreaded. it dos sew the elastic t fleece fine just not the 2 layer microfleece.
any help please is driving me batty

Return to “Tips, Tricks and How-to”