Coverpro doing my head in!

onabear
TNN addict

Coverpro doing my head in!

Post by onabear » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:38 am

Ok so I got my cp out for the first time in about 8-9 mths having done my cp class a year ago, but this was the first time using my post mount binder so of course I did a trial run came out perfect (same fabric different colour) so happily I cut the binding for the actual item threads through fine but the looper threads are broken every 3-4 cm :gaah: so I sorted this after a few trials but then needed to thread through some more binding well do you think the &^%$ thing will stay folded no matter how many times i thread or unthread or pull it through!!! My only thought is that perhaps I should cut the binding just wider than required will try that today as I needed a break from it else it was going out the window.

I know they are tempremental beasts but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Part time working Mumma to
X (22/2/09)
Angel baby Devon (14/12/09) @ 17 weeks
Z (11/1/11)

macca
TNN guru

Re: Coverpro doing my head in!

Post by macca » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:21 pm

Turn the tension down on the thread that's causing the issue. Mine is quite tempermental with different threads, so i turn the tension down a bit and that seems to work
Melissa
Mum to Jack - born November 06 and Charlie - born May 09.
My blog http://maccafamily.blogspot.com

onabear
TNN addict

Post by onabear » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:57 pm

Thanks the rethreading seems to have helped as did cutting the binding that bit wider but still not entirely happy :gaah: will just keep trying I think I remember Claire saying that it was just practice
X (22/2/09)
Z (11/1/11)

Claire
TNN oracle

Post by Claire » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:45 pm

oh bummer
It is a really annoying machine at times!! Sometimes it just seems to not like a type of thread or a type of binding fabric and there is not too much you can do about it.

Some things to check that I could think of...
Release the tension on the presser foot by turning the nob at the top of the machine. It needs to be released quite a long way if your binding is a thicker fabric.
Try having the same type of thread for all three.. doesn't always matter but sometimes it can make it spaz
For binding make your stitch length quite long
Make sure the front of the binder isn't touching the presser foot.. have it just in front but not touching as that can stop it running easily under
Don't use the bit on the right end of the binder to loop the end of the fabric through.. push it out the way or remove it totally. Hold the end of the binding with your right hand.. that way you can make sure it doesn't twist and you can easily increase or decrease the tension.

Take a huge long length of binding and run it through while you have a play...

Good luck :D

cj
TNN guru

Post by cj » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:56 pm

Spray starch sometimes helps with fabrics that just want to curl. I just use cornflour and water in a spray bottle, not the expensive spray from the supermarket.
It's definitely a love it or hate it machine, depending on the day.
You know who I am! Mum to DS1(7), DS2(6), DD(6), DS3(5).

onabear
TNN addict

Post by onabear » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:47 pm

Good idea on the spray starch CJ was thinking something similar if cutting it a little wider didn't work, and I wondered about the the wire bit on the end as I was having a bit of a 'mare with that too Claire.

Home tomorrow as DD got the runs but happy in herself so DS will be off to Daycare and fingers crossed she has a good 3 hour sleep as per usual (prob jinxed myself) DS usually watches Sesame street then but an hour just isn't long enough and the allure of a machine whirring away can be powerful for young boys funnily enough.

Thanks so much for your suggestions :D
X (22/2/09)
Z (11/1/11)

Return to “Tips, Tricks and How-to”