Making girl's dresses quickly

ob1
TNN nutter

Making girl's dresses quickly

Post by ob1 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:28 pm

I got a good tip from a friend the other day - I want dresses with short sleeves, not straps, so my DD doesn't get sunburnt. I've been having a bit of trouble finding these. So, the tip was, sew some material onto the bottom of a T-shirt! Great idea I thought :-) DD isn't wearing a lot of T-shirts, but loves dresses, problem solved :-)
Tara
Mum to Olly, Emma, and Anna

www.summerwarmth.co.nz
Breastfeeding products and information for women with Raynaud's

www.woven.co.nz
Beautiful baby carriers

Sezzles
TNN nerd

Re: Making girl's dresses quickly

Post by Sezzles » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:45 pm

Great tip Tara! Would work well with T-shirts that had gotten a tad too short as well as they fit the same neck/arm hold for ages :)

One I discovered when DS was little too was when his pants/jeans got too short in the leg I'd hem them and voilà shorts!
Sarah - WAHM to Riley 19/08/07, Olivia 24/02/10, six wee ~0~ babies, and finally our precious little Cameron 13/04/14.
Image Image Image
http://www.chaseebee.co.nz/

Mrs Shavas
TNN nerd

Post by Mrs Shavas » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:52 pm

Another tip with pants is to create cuffs on the bottom, extra length for when they've grown up but not out.
"almost without exception [women] are shown in their relation to men. It was strange to think that all the great women of fiction were, [...]not only seen by the other sex, but seen only in relation to the other sex. And how small a part of a woman’s life is that"Virginia Woolf
Mum to my P Monkey 18/04/08, fox 28/11/09, and Missy moo moo 2/07/12

piggywiggy
TNN nerd

Post by piggywiggy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:13 pm

Another tip is to use (shiring) elastic thread in the bobbin (hand wind) so that you can just use a rectangular tube of fabric and auto gather it onto the t-shirt as shown in this tutorial http://asmallsnippet.com/2011/09/wanna-make-dress.html
Catherine
Working mumma to D (march 08) and N (dec 10)

ob1
TNN nutter

Post by ob1 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:16 pm

Awesome tip Sarah :-) DS's trousers all have holes at the knees anyway!
I haven't added to any trousers, but I did used to buy the trousers a couple of sizes up, hem them, and then take them back down again with time :-) It doesn't seem to work right now as the waist is always too big, but I do have a couple of shorts where I've nipped in the waist too. I have great trouble buying the size they are supposed to wear, I always think, I'll get another year's wear out of it if I buy it bigger :-)
Tara

www.summerwarmth.co.nz

www.woven.co.nz
Beautiful baby carriers

Claude30
TNN guru

Post by Claude30 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:42 am

Yeah I have been converting DDs shirts into dresses for sometime now as she always grows up not out. Another I like to do is convert her shorts into skirts - either by adding a full skirt or just a panel to the front - gives her the freedom to run and move and flip while still being femine and not showing everyone her underwear.

I also do the pants to shorts with her, and long leeved dresses to short sleeve or sleeveless.

You know you can add sleeves to dress patterns really wasy too - just need to copy the shape of the bodice front and back and then decide the length - I pin the pa[er pattern piece together and then just trace the shape of the arm hole. Very easy to do.

Or Cut a tshirt off under the arms and attach it as a perminent inside any dress
Kiley - SAHM to - Caycee (8/03), Stefanie (6/05), Brody (12/06), Keegan (5/10) and
Image Image

ob1
TNN nutter

Post by ob1 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:08 pm

I like the permanent t-shirt inside the dress idea too - not too hot - thanks :-)
Tara

www.summerwarmth.co.nz

www.woven.co.nz
Beautiful baby carriers

Return to “Tips, Tricks and How-to”