Brother sewing machine at Spotlight - bobbin question

cj
TNN guru

Brother sewing machine at Spotlight - bobbin question

Post by cj » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:15 pm

There is a Brother sewing machine in the Spotlight Catalogue for only $99 (after redeeming cashback).
I am tempted to get one for the kids to use (as my oldest loves making stuff but always wants to do it at the exact same time I am doing things).
I am not concerned that its a basic machine, its for the kids to use and I'm sure it will be fine - I just wonder if anyone knows will it take the same bobbins that my Janome machine (17 years old) takes?
You know who I am! Mum to DS1(7), DS2(6), DD(6), DS3(5).

Kaz
TNN guru

Re: Brother sewing machine at Spotlight - bobbin question

Post by Kaz » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:25 pm

My sister's old Brother had the curved bobbins, they may be different now as hers was purchased 20yrs ago.

I have the kids sized Elna. It's great for the kids because it is slow :wink: and is smaller so needs less space.
You can never really take control of your life but you can control how you choose to live it.

cj
TNN guru

Post by cj » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:26 pm

Do you mean the really tiny one? It is only $49 half price at the moment if its the same one, I just assumed that I would be better buying a 'real' one. We have space for either.

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:00 pm

Sorry I'm no help other than knowing that Pfaff bobbins are narrower than others and I had a few random ones hanging around (somewhere?) which I should fling someone's way in case they are of use.

$99 is a pretty good deal eh!

Did you get the 40% off email tonight? You may be able to use that to get some bobbins for a reasonable price?
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

dottysmitty
TNN nerd

Post by dottysmitty » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:13 pm

Th friend who I take sewing classes with has a brother, and she has so much trouble with it...
Emma - mummy to Maxim (9) and Linus (6)
Formerly vixnix

And now these things remain: faith, hope and love. But of these three, the greatest...is love.

Kaz
TNN guru

Post by Kaz » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:25 am

cj wrote:Do you mean the really tiny one? It is only $49 half price at the moment if its the same one, I just assumed that I would be better buying a 'real' one. We have space for either.
Yes, the really tiny one. It works well, it's a bit noisy and basic but it's fine for the kids and it's light so they can move it themselves and I don't have to worry about them dropping it on their toes. It doesn't have the easy threading though, you actually have to put the thread through a loop which is a bit annoying.
You can never really take control of your life but you can control how you choose to live it.

Claire
TNN oracle

Post by Claire » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:37 am

My Janome and brother take the same bobbins

cj
TNN guru

Post by cj » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:06 am

I might be a genius and take some of my bobbins in with me. It will just annoy me if I have to wind bobbins specially when I have them already sitting there with thread on...
It won't get heavy use, its mainly for a 7 year old at the moment, he loves creating stuff! It won't need to be carried around - it can sit at the end of my cutting table and just slide along.
And yes I got the 40% off deal. After I've spent about $300 in Spotlight this week :gaah:

karmiec
TNN oracle

Post by karmiec » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:53 pm

I've had a bottom of the range brother for about five years - great for everything I want to do (sewing nappies when the boys were little, making a few gifts mending things etc)

I've taken it to Playcentre heaps and help the kids use it, and my own kids like making "sewing pictures" by sewing various things onto felt.
Lisa

dottysmitty
TNN nerd

Post by dottysmitty » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:15 pm

I'll have to tell my friend that... Hers must just have a faulty bit in it...sometimes the thread just breaks over and over...
Emma - mummy to Maxim (9) and Linus (6)
Formerly vixnix

And now these things remain: faith, hope and love. But of these three, the greatest...is love.

Return to “Fabrics and Notions”