Donations for Refugee Family - UPDATE Baby is here :-)

Tentacles
TNN guru

Donations for Refugee Family - UPDATE Baby is here :-)

Post by Tentacles » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:04 pm

Firstly I'm not sure if this is the right place for this so if not mods please move it :)
A close friend of mine works with volunteers here helping refugee families settle into life in NZ. She is currently working wiht a family who have a baby due in about 6 weeks. They are keen to use cloth but short on money and I wandered if anyone would be willing to donate any cloth nappies they no longer need. Any condition is fine (I'm happy to do any running repairs for them like leg elastic etc) and any size.
Also they are about to be reunited with their older daughter when she lands in NZ next week. She is 3.5y and her mother hasn't seen her since she was 18 months old. When she arrives she will have nothing other than a couple of changes of clothes. If anyone has anything from clothes to things to brighten up a wee girls room (which currently only contains a bed) they'd be greatly appreciated.
I don't usually post things like this but I have donated a lot to her families over the past 6 months and this time I don't really have anything suitable to donate :?
Thanks for reading anyway :D
Last edited by Tentacles on Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alison - Currently SAHM to DS (04/07) and DD (09/10).

http://kiwicraftychemist.blogspot.com

Jack05
TNN nerd

Post by Jack05 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:33 pm

Alison I will make a couple of naps and will get some clothes together and a poster or something for the big girl :D

Gaia
TNN guru

Post by Gaia » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:39 am

Can you please pm me your address.

I am sure there will be something here I can send.

What country are they from?
I am guessing that the wee girl will be needing some warm clothes.
~Heather~

**Happiness is not having what you want, but wanting what you have. - ANON **

http://overthetoporiginals.wordpress.com/

Tentacles
TNN guru

Post by Tentacles » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:23 am

Thanks so much guys. I'll change the title because the family are willing to pay for things but their budget is very tight as you can imagine. This particular family is from Myanmar and I can't even begin to imagine what they have been through to get this far. My friend also helped in settling the woman's mother and siblings here last year and some of them were reunited after years apart on the run being smuggled out of the region :(

We are taking my friend and the woman to the Plunket Sale here today so she can try and get some things for her older girl there that aren't too expensive.

I was actually thinking last night (and will talk to my friend about this today) that if we got naps together they could maybe be like a Refugee services loan kit for the area so when she had finished with them they could go back to refugee services to be used by another family? Will update on this later today.

ETA Yes the big girlw ill need warm clothes. She had been smuggled as far as Malaysia and has been there for some time so arriving in NZ will be a bit of a shock for her weather wise.

Also if there is anything that is collected that they don't need it will go to Refugee Services and be used by one of the next lot of famlies to come to the Hutt Area.

nicky-noodle
TNN guru

Post by nicky-noodle » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:30 am

Hi

Do you want to PM me your address and I will see what I can find.

Thanks

nzmum
TNN nerd

Post by nzmum » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:35 am

I'm sure I can find some stuff for them. I will hunt it out and let you know.
Jannene

Tentacles
TNN guru

Post by Tentacles » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:53 am

I'll PM people later today, we're just getting ready to head out at the moment :)

mandli
TNN guru

Post by mandli » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:19 am

I've got some prefolds which could be used as pocket stuffers (or for their original use) and a medium cover. LMK if that would help. Will see what else I can find.
Lisa, mama to Maya, no more nappies here!

[url=http://www.alterna-tickers.com][img]http://www.alterna-tickers.com/tickers/971631.png[/img][/url]

Claire
TNN oracle

Post by Claire » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:11 am

I dont think I have anything clothes wise for the 3 year old - but can certainly dig out toys for her .. and have heaps of newborn clothes they can have.
PM me your addy

Wicked Knits
Yarn Pirate

Post by Wicked Knits » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:19 am

I'll have a look and see what we have, my mum's staying for Seb's birthday at the moment, brought her car this time, so I can drop things off at your place/wherever in the Hutt. Got a couple of small nappy items/prefolds I'm willing to part with.
Alia
Alexander - 3, and Sebastian - 6.
My Ravelry Account :Knitting:

Mazz

Post by Mazz » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:09 am

I've got a few things that might be useful. PM me your addy and I'll get them to you.

shorty
TNN nerd

Post by shorty » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:46 am

Further to my PM I've got a heap of good/excellent quality size 3/4 clothes (jersey/sweatshirt/jacket/2x trous/2 LS tops/Tshirt/vests/skirt/knickers/pjs and 2 pairs shoes. Hope you didnt buy too much today!! We get given heaps of clothes and I just did a clean out the other day. Let me know if thats overkill with what else you have (but if there are other families needing it then will post anyway and you can redistribute).

Jenny

JandC
Queen of the sewing machine

Post by JandC » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:52 am

I'm sure i've got stuff here I can send you alison but it might be a couple of weeks till I can get on my feet properly.

Do you have any good salvation army type shops down there? Happy to give you some $$ to buy some things for them (warm jumpers etc for the girl are often real cheap at sallies and good if you just give them a wash)..
Natalie *Mum of MissJ 10yrs, MrC 8yrs and MissA 6yrs*

When you don't give up, you cannot fail

Tentacles
TNN guru

Post by Tentacles » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:03 pm

Wow thanks guys, I'll get to all the PMs soon.

We've just been tothe Plunket sale here and she got a bit of stuff for the older girl. She is nearly 4 but is a tiny wee asian girl and they've heard she has lost a lot of weight recently as the people she's been with in Malaysia haven't been looking after her that well. Her Mum was mainly buying size 2-3 clothes (although it's all a bit of a guess) and she did get a jacket and a fleece and a few other bits for her. She wasn't really looking for the baby as she said they have 'enough' for her at the moment but my friend said if there was anything extra it could be help at Refugee Services for another family in need :D

They do have money to buy things but can't afford new and places like the plunket sale have been great where most things are only a few dollars each.

channyhoo
TNN nerd

Post by channyhoo » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:00 pm

I will do a decent kit from Te Awhina with whatever else I can find. Does anyone have an account with a courier company as I can't fathom how much NZ Post will charge... happy to collect for other Chch ladies as well- perhaps we could all put in for postage?
Chantelle
Lucky Mum of Kalila and wee angel baby May Uenuku.

Return to “Charitable and Community Projects (Public)”