Te Awhina Nappy Scheme WHAT TO DO? (stock on OP)

Shae
TNN nerd

Re: Te Awhina Nappy Scheme WHAT TO DO?

Post by Shae » Fri May 28, 2010 7:01 pm

I know that I've stepped back from this project (please forgive me - I still feel a wee bit protective of Te Awhina :vibes: ), but can I remind everyone that this has been an established scheme for a few years now and before finalising the parameters of the scheme there was some fairly robust discussion about how people would like to see it run and a lot of the same ideas were expressed.
As a hire kit owner also, I'll just point out the HUGE amount of work that will be involved in having (what could very easily be dozens of kits) to maintain and launder the kits (the love of cloth can only go so far!). I think if the kits are intended to stay as loan kits, then Laura will need the hands on support of a few other local people.
Therefore, I think that this programme needs to be available for all regardless of perceived need.
Obviously this may change with Laura at the helm, but originally Chantelle and I were the ones deciding on eligibility, based on the referral of active TNN members, and discussion on what would best suit their situations. So it always has been on a case by case basis.
Also up until now the kits have been free of charge. There was the extended lay-by available, and the accountability for the return of the kit lay with the recipient (signing the loan agreement) and with the TNN member who knew the recipient IRL.
In terms of charging $x per week - normal hire kits range from $10-12 per week, so are very affordable anyway (which would be about 1 packet of disposables a week)
Anyway I'll step back and let you guys hash it out :D
Mama to A, J, & A
www.farmfamily.blogspot.com

growingclothie
TNN oracle

Post by growingclothie » Fri May 28, 2010 7:15 pm

My understanding is that these nappies were donated to be given/ loaned to people in need at no charge, and I think it should stay that way. As noted above there are already plenty of reasonably priced hire kits available (that are maintained to a standard expected by people who are handing over $$$ for them) and layby schemes for people who can't afford to buy a full nappy set up in one go. I would like to see these nappies be used in the intent they were gifted to people who can't afford a $10 a week hire kit and frankly I don't give a #*%#! how they got in that position, or if they were being "irrisponsible", its not the baby's fault that it was born into a home that is short of funds for what ever reason. I trust that TNNers/ pregnancy support/ women's refuge/ etc. referring women would take good judgement in assessing who is worthy of them and would actually use them. This is a program for people in need, a gift is a gift and should be given without strings attached. :hide:
Bec

Home educating mum to precious blessings:
*MissW (stillborn Jan'04)
*MasterZ (11yrs old, born Jan'04)
*MasterH (7yrs old, born Sept'07)
*MissK (4yrs old, born Nov'10)
*MissF (2yrs old, born July'13)

Visit me on Ravelry http://www.ravelry.com/projects/SteppingInWater

Louise
TNN oracle

Post by Louise » Fri May 28, 2010 7:29 pm

Shae - how much use have these kits had over the past couple of years? There was never any update of how things have gone so would be good to hear some feedback from that angle.
Mum of 6

Laura
TNN guru

Post by Laura » Fri May 28, 2010 7:35 pm

i dont know much at all about it all - i just got given all of the nappies and told do do with them what i like as long as its helping people.
hence why i posted on here to find out what people want.
i dont want this to be a HUGE job that takes up a lot of my time but am willing to put the time in at the start to get something good going, there are far to many nappies just going to waste in boxes.
The reason I am the person I have become!
Our journey from IVF to Freya http://babybuilding.wordpress.com

karmiec
TNN oracle

Post by karmiec » Fri May 28, 2010 8:27 pm

What about no weekly hire but a $10 or $20 bond for a std kit, if not refered/vouched for. A small incentive to bring them back.

I like what was mentioned with making kits personalised - eg: pockets only if thats what they want, and getting word out as much as possible.

If you have too many could you divide and have a north island and south island... would save on postage and perhaps make it more accessible?

I'll let you get your head around this before I send you the demo kit info :D
Lisa

Kaz
TNN guru

Post by Kaz » Sat May 29, 2010 10:35 am

:D I think starting by working with Pregnancy Help and Plunket you will be reaching people in need.

I'm assuming most people would be happier getting disposable nappy vouchers from Income Support than get cloth nappies. But I figure there would be a good number of people who would appreciate the use of cloth nappies - no strings attached. They are more likely to use them as well, I don't know what condititon some of the nappies are in, but I figure there would be some which could be gifted as they may not have much life in them and the better ones could be on loan. Often the help agencies have an idea of which families are likely to return nappies or not, so you can gauge whether gifting is a better option.

I'd look at sets of 18, as many people don't have a drier or sufficient heating to dry nappies everyday.
You can never really take control of your life but you can control how you choose to live it.

Laura
TNN guru

Post by Laura » Sat May 29, 2010 10:49 am

OK here is what we have

NB - 32 fitted 10 covers 34 pockets
S - 12 fitted 7 covers 27 pockets
m - 24 fitted 25 covers 25 pockets
L - 8 fitted 2 covers 8 pockets (+ 8 that need leg elastic)
4 AIO
10 flats
9 soakers

and LOADS of inserts to stuff the pockets
The reason I am the person I have become!
Our journey from IVF to Freya http://babybuilding.wordpress.com

Louise
TNN oracle

Re: Te Awhina Nappy Scheme WHAT TO DO? (stock on OP)

Post by Louise » Sat May 29, 2010 2:02 pm

Sounds like you have enough nappies for 2 great sized kits in each of the sizes (nb/sm/m) except large - which looks like one really good kit.

Are the AIO and soakers in lg size or a range? If there was enough for one of each in each kit that would be good.

The pockets which need elastic replacing in size large - either look for someone who will volunteer to replace elastic, or just sell them/gift them on TP.

Would be a good idea to get the kits into bags to keep them together - perhaps some PUL large wetbags or similar? You can get mesh washing bags which would also be good for storing a kit. Perhaps ask for donations of these - people may have some lying around, or be happy to sew some up.
Mum of 6

LuluNZ
TNN guru

Re: Te Awhina Nappy Scheme WHAT TO DO? (stock on OP)

Post by LuluNZ » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:28 pm

I don't know much about the Te Awhina nappy scheme but just wanted to let you know that I have just started a thread asking what to do with 3x new pea pod larges. I was wondering if these could be used in one of the kits. I'd also volunteer for repairing some leg elastics in the larges.
Mummy to DD (19) and DS(5)

Return to “Charitable and Community Projects (Public)”