MamaBird fitted/aio/pocket

rootoo
TNN guru

MamaBird fitted/aio/pocket

Post by rootoo » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:14 pm

Anyone tried it in any variety? What did you think?
Rachel
Mama to Josh 6/10/08 and Ollie 25/5/11

http://www.facebook.com/featherbrushyarns

tahlula
TNN nerd

Post by tahlula » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:19 pm

I use it to make all my pockets and they are a really good fit on DS.

sassydot

Post by sassydot » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:07 pm

It's good for nights as its very wide in the crotch, and its quite economic on fabrics. I can get 6 smalls out of 1/2 a metre.

Tigerlily
TNN newbie

Re: MamaBird fitted/aio/pocket

Post by Tigerlily » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:33 pm

I have used the fitted pattern a few times to make flannelette nappies.

As long as you correctly follow the instructions for the leg elastic (elastic sewn on wrong side of inner layer only) I have found that this pattern doesn't have an especially wide crotch, and is trimmer than the pocket version. It definitely has a wider crotch than some of the other patterns like the Wee Weka but I find this is a good thing, because it provides excellent coverage, and allows the use of a lay in booster or trifold soaker if needed, without compromising the fit around the legs.

It is quite easy to cut out and sew, and is very cheap (about $2). It has a reputation for being a small make, and I have found this is true, and it fits well under covers. If you were to use a stretch fabric, I imagine it would fit a bigger size range. It's important to print the pattern correctly, as this may alter the size. Clear instructions are provided with the pattern and it is very hard to go wrong.

sassydot

Re: MamaBird fitted/aio/pocket

Post by sassydot » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:37 pm

one thing that a lot of people don';t realise is it doens't have an indluced seam allowance - hence why people think it is very small. my son fit the "big" size as a fitted until he was about 18 months old - approx 19kg.

Return to “Pattern Reviews”