Fleece covers

LuluNZ
TNN guru

Fleece covers

Post by LuluNZ » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:12 am

I have lots of polar fleece so thought I'd make some covers. Do I need to do a hidden layer of PUL? Also, I was just going to use a side snap pocket pattern and sew the pocket closed. Will this work or will I need a pattern for a cover?
Mummy to DD (19) and DS(5)

KatharineBrussels

Re: Fleece covers

Post by KatharineBrussels » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:32 am

Hi Lulu, I'm not an expert but as far as I know fleece is a cover option people often use when they want to avoid non-breathable fabrics like PUL. Malden Mills is the only fleece that users report as being able to truly stand in as a diaper cover, but some bloggers say the inexpensive fleece from the fabric store cut in two layers is okay. I personally use knitted wool diaper covers on my newborn, and they are working fine. One downside to fleece is that it is a polyestor-based (breathable) fabric, and will eventually pick up a urine smell, whereas wool washes clean.

Perhaps someone else can chime in on the diaper pattern question! I made prefolds and have no experience at all with pockets. Good luck!

Weezel
TNN nerd

Post by Weezel » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:50 am

I used to use them over G's night naps but as a backup for leaks, he had a sposie or a PUL pocket underneath. They were the funkybum? polarefleece covers. They were double layer of fleece around the bottom section but single around from the hip to waist. I have already sent your parcel off with K, could have popped in one for you to look at :roll: Washing was fine as well, I found they came out clean, no fifference to microfleece pocket nappy lining or liners theselves :wink: Unsure how they would be over a fitted??? I know it wouldn't work with G with his super wees :lol:
Louise
Mummy to my......
Handsome Lil Man DS, September 2007
Beautiful Nut DD, June 2010
Gorgeous Bud DD, February 2012

daydream97
TNN guru

Post by daydream97 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:06 am

hehe sorry just has a giggle after looking at the dates posted .... did you make the covers in teh end lulu?
Jenna
:girl: Miss Mikaela (03/09)
:angel: Dec 2010
:TNN2: Reuben owen (9/11)
:stork: 08/2013
blog - My family, crafts and Montessori journey :) -- http://ticefamilynz.blogspot.com/

LuluNZ
TNN guru

Post by LuluNZ » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:26 pm

daydream97 wrote:hehe sorry just has a giggle after looking at the dates posted .... did you make the covers in teh end lulu?

Lol, no I didn't make any yet but I have discovered the answer to my original question :lol: . I was a newbie sewer back then :oops: .
Mummy to DD (19) and DS(5)

Weezel
TNN nerd

Post by Weezel » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:29 pm

LuluNZ wrote:
daydream97 wrote:hehe sorry just has a giggle after looking at the dates posted .... did you make the covers in teh end lulu?

Lol, no I didn't make any yet but I have discovered the answer to my original question :lol: . I was a newbie sewer back then :oops: .

Still useful information for any other newbies though Lu, you are helping without even knowing it :wink:
Louise
Mummy to my......
Handsome Lil Man DS, September 2007
Beautiful Nut DD, June 2010
Gorgeous Bud DD, February 2012

Return to “Pattern Reviews”