Wee Weka Pocket with Gusset-FOE??

betsy007
TNN newbie

Wee Weka Pocket with Gusset-FOE??

Post by betsy007 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:46 am

Has anyone found it difficult to get a good stretch on the gusset with the FOE? I am definitely giving it full stretch yet my 5kg nephew had massive leakage from my trial nappy. His legs are quite skinny and he's only 2 and a half weeks. Was wondering if anyone had tried an alternative just for the gusset? Normal elastic with extra cut out of PUL gusset to foldover? What about brands of FOE, are some better than others? Got ours from Green Beans.

Tentacles
TNN guru

Post by Tentacles » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:52 am

I'm not much help but do the gussets sit snuggly against his legs when it's on? It can be hard to get a good fit with skinny legged babies. I didn't have one so I haven't had to alter the pattern but I'm sure someone else will help :)

ETA it could just be that the pattern is too big, maybe try a nb pattern? But then they wont last long, it's tricky isn't it.
Alison - Currently SAHM to DS (04/07) and DD (09/10).

http://kiwicraftychemist.blogspot.com

betsy007
TNN newbie

Post by betsy007 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:12 am

Hi, Thanks. Yes I guess I'd prefer to only have to do all the sweing a couple of times. Perhaps they just need to wait a few more weeks until he fills out a little. They also were given some honeychild nappies and they had same result apparently. Hmmmm.

Resse
TNN guru

Post by Resse » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:08 pm

I found this with my second bubba also.

The best thing I have found with her (and still do this too) is I use an old style cloth nappy, fold it around her (but don't use pins) and use the pockets as covers.
It works really well for us at the moment.
As soon as I put her in a pocket the normal way, we get leaks.

Also, DD is a big wetter, so her nappies have to be changed a bit more often than I would normally do it.

I hope that helps
Renate
http://renate4scottie.blogspot.com/
My new blog called Inspirationz. Yah!!
Our amazing DS, May 2006
Our sweet DD, August 2008
Our gorgeous DS, September 2010

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:09 pm

I'm not much of a fan for gussets as I find a good snug seal of elastic does a better job at sealing around the leg.
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

betsy007
TNN newbie

Post by betsy007 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:50 pm

Thanks all. My sis has decided she'll stick with the dreaded disposables whilst she adjusts to being a Mum. So hopefully they'll fit by the time they start using them...
Interesting what you said about not being a fan of the gussets. Maybe we'll try some without later. And great tip about the cloth nappy underneath. :)

hannah
TNN guru

Post by hannah » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:03 pm

Arlo's 3wks and we're loving pockets. He fits nb button boos that I made and shars umbilical scoop pockets that Nadesha made (maybe she upsized the pattern?) as hes over the 8pound weight limit on those and still fits them really well) No leaks. Also doing well with wee weka serged edge fitteds. I made the small size and use a small knitted soaker or bummi wrap. Hes probably an average wetter? I do have good inserts for the pockets, heavy weight bamboo fleece with thick microfibre, trifolded. Trim but super absorbent. what is your sis using as inserts as that will make a big difference to how well they work.
Hannah, mama of M 15yrs ♥ , L 13yrs ♥ and A 3yrs ♥
2 teens, 1 preschooler-eeek!

http://www.locket.co.nz

Return to “Pattern Reviews”