Help on Shar's NB AIO: insert issue

KatharineBrussels

Help on Shar's NB AIO: insert issue

Post by KatharineBrussels » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:07 pm

Oops, it looks like I made a mistake on Shar's NB AIO pattern. DD and I have very sensitive, yeast-prone skin so I wanted a WI2 instead of using polar fleece and PUL. I cut double layers of felted and fulled woven wool pieces, inserted the elastic and sewed them together using a turned and stitched method to fully finish the edges very neatly. Then after seeing two of them I began scratching my head over how I could get an insert in there if it's so small anyway :roll:

Now I've downloaded a free NB pattern from Darling Diapers and the advice therein is use the same pattern for a cover but overlock the edges. The same pattern will make a correctly sized fitted nappy if the nappy is turned and stitched. Whoops! So my covers are too small anyway. Are these covers still salvageable?

I thought about putting a NB prefold inside and securing with a snappi, but DH finds this step too tricky to remember. Would it work if I made fitteds but trimmed them down and crossed my fingers they'd be usable for even a short time?

DS is bigger than DD was, and the ultrasound estimates at 33wks say he's a strapping lad already measuring 2 weeks ahead. I'm 35wks now.

I forgot if this is a forum where we can post outside links, so I haven't put the Darling Diapers link up but the free NB pattern is on their homepage.

ditto
TNN guru

Re: Help on Shar's NB AIO: insert issue

Post by ditto » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:51 pm

I'm having difficulty getting my head around what the problem is - is the cover supposed to be edged with FOE? If so, stitching and turning will make it smaller. Do you have a bought NB cover to compare it to?

Also, if it's an AIO it will have absorbency sewn in, won't it? But you couldn't do that between layers of wool because wool repels moisture. You can pad-fold prefolds but I didn't find them much good at NB poo containment that way - better snappied.

You may find that the covers fit over stitch-and-turn fitteds, like Shar's newborn fitted pattern. But because you need more fitteds than covers, I'd be inclined to start over and make some more covers in a larger size.
Mama to Braden (5/05), Rosalia (6/08), Corin (3/10) and Annelise (2/14)

KatharineBrussels

Post by KatharineBrussels » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:26 pm

Hi Ditto! Thanks for replying. Sorry if pregnancy fog made my first query unclear :) I was worried that I'd cut the wool cover the AIO size, then how would a nappy fit underneath since it would have to be smaller to ensure the wool did its job keeping moisture off clothes. Anything smaller seemed like baby would grow out if it in 2 weeks rather than in 4.

You're right though, just cut out some more covers and keep chugging along. I made two more yesterday after more dilligent web searching, having found this:
http://verybaby.com/tutorials/sew-a-woo ... r-cover-2/ which says basically to adapt a nappy or AIO pattern for a cover by adding a seam allowance all the way round, but keep the snaps and elastic in the same spot as drafted for the nappy. Great! I had been wondering that all along! (Yes I'm a big nappy sewing newbie)

My other 'nappy (diaper) cover' searches kept turning up tutorials on how to make bloomers to wear over a nappy, rather than a 'cover' as a water-repellant layer in the cloth nappy sense.

Mel
TNN guru

Post by Mel » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:07 pm

Did you check the scale on the pattern was correct? (The 1cm square box)

KatharineBrussels

Post by KatharineBrussels » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:23 pm

Yes, I did, and it was correct. Even though DD is 16mos I've probably just forgotten how small a NB can be :vibes: My purchased NB prefolds are a little long when placed inside, will have to fold them down for use.

mama anne
TNN nerd

Post by mama anne » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:10 am

The only other thing I'd say would be seam allowance- how big did you make it with the woolen ones?
Working Mama of miss7yo and mr5yo.

KatharineBrussels

Post by KatharineBrussels » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:09 am

Hi Mama Anne!
I should post some photos, but I'll have to figure out how to do that 8-[ LOL

I used the 1cm seam allowance indicated to cut and sew my first two wool covers, with turned and stitched edge finishing of the same allowance. Then I cut an old towel up the same size to make an inner nappy and discovered the issue: turn of cloth. Like if I made a lot of garments with collars I'd know the undercollar has to be slightly smaller than the overcollar to compensate for turn of cloth. I read somewhere else (forgot where) on the internet that the cover really must cover the entire nappy. If not, where it peaks out moisture would transfer to clothing, furniture, etc.

So it looks like these first two covers can be used with nappies that are cut the same size but sewn with a deeper seam allowance to ensure they stay well hidden behind the wool outer shell, and they'll be the first to be grown out of since they are a tad smaller with the slightly smaller nappy underneath.

Then I found yesterday the Very Baby tutorial on modifying a nappy pattern to a cover, which basically said to add a hem allowance around the border but keep elastic and closures at the same place as for the original nappy.

Oops DD is calling me!

mama anne
TNN nerd

Post by mama anne » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:19 pm

The other thing I thought of was the stretch factor- if the wool is felted then there will be no stretch to it at all, yeah? Whereas with PUL and microfleece they do stretch a bit when you put the insert in, so still a tight squeeze but a bit more manageable :)

mama anne
TNN nerd

Post by mama anne » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:32 pm

Also I'm not sure what the seam allowance is on the other patterns you mentioned but Shar's ones are 1/2cm- which makes a difference when they're so small too :)

Sounds like you're learning alot as you're going which is great :sew:

Return to “Pattern Reviews”