real nappy week 08??

Netty
TNN nerd

Post by Netty » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:16 pm

Westerbaby wrote:Hi everyone

I thought I would pop in here from the Australian Nappy Network and explain!

In 2006, we in Oz decided to have a RNW. We had a lot of trouble communicating with WEN to get permission to use their and our own logo on promo materials, etc, and even the name. We then made up our own 'real nappy week down under' due to issues over using WENs RNW logo & promo materials (being very new to formal advocacy in OZ, we needed some materials, and didn't have much of our own, hence saught permission to use some of WENs and had lots of trouble getting permission in time - graneted we totally appreciated how flat out the UK were with co-ordinating their RNW at the time!) and were asked not to do so.

While we wanted to continue to work alongside WEN, and still do, a vote from volunteers in the nappy advocate groups over here suggested that the term 'real nappy week' was slightly antagonistic to some. That coupled with a clash with various holidays and high profile events in Australia in March & April each year (Easter, Grand Prix, Anzac Day to name a few) AND the GDUNH (nappy hunt) held around March/April keeping WAHMS soooo busy, led us to think that maybe April wasn't the best time of year to be hosting events. The ANN tossed around a few ideas and another vote saw that it was decided a consistent approach would help us all in terms of planning ahead (rather than waiting til 1 month or so before the week as we were with international RNW dates) so we have selected the 2nd week in October as our annual Reusable Nappy Week in Australia.

We aren't trying to splinter off from the international event or reusable nappy/diaper movement, it was just felt that October takes advantage of upcoming better weather in the southern hemisphere (it's easier to sell reusable nappies when the warmth outside suggests they will dry!), and as someone on here has suggested, activities can still be held in April if we can get our act together (which we haven't really this year because we have been finalising our incorporation), but our focus for the 'celebratory' week will be October. By all means, we will fully support international RNW. Taking on our own name has given us the freedom to promote it without needing permission to put the name on all our ANN materials. We typically still cite WEN and the Real Nappy Campaign as the founders of the Real Nappy Week event, but there are reasons for us choosing to do things differently. In the same vein, we will more than happily collaborate on any other joint activities on an Australiasian or International basis! :)

I hope that all helps, feel free to shoot questions at me if you have any!

You know, after getting into the nitty gritty of trying to do stuff to organise our local RNW contribution - I can see where the Ozzies are coming from (we've got the V8s and the Balloon festival here in April too). The weather is the only downer in October. I think we should have a good bit of discussion about it after next week.
Netty, Mum to:
Mr C (07/98), Mr S (07/00), Mr A (07/02) Mr R (10/04) Miss L (09/06)

Westerbaby
TNN newbie

Post by Westerbaby » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:27 pm

Netty wrote:
You know, after getting into the nitty gritty of trying to do stuff to organise our local RNW contribution - I can see where the Ozzies are coming from (we've got the V8s and the Balloon festival here in April too). The weather is the only downer in October. I think we should have a good bit of discussion about it after next week.

We have the Melbourne Cup & Spring Racing Cranival in Australia in early November, which means that our media is disturbingly preoccupied with all things horses around then :( mid to late November starts getting a bit close to Christmas? However, if TNN decides that later October might work better for you all, then please get in touch with us at the ANN, as we might be able to negotiate on the week chosen to run it annually as a Down Under event (Aus + NZ). We really want to have a set week as it will make it easier to prepare and book ahead for, hence the second week in October 2008 & probably 2009, but if there is an alternative proposed and agreed on before about August/September this year, then let's chat about the dates for 2009 & beyond :)
~ [b]Lucy[/b] ~
Australian Nappy Network (tm) Ltd

Return to “Archived - Real Nappy Week 2008”