Hamilton - Waikato

Netty
TNN nerd

Post by Netty » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:36 pm

We now have prices for two possible venues:
Western Community Centre - $115 plus $405 bond. We would have to fundraise, at least for the hirage. But it is in a good location for visibility, parking, near shops and young family population.
Parents Place - $30 in total. No fundraising needed, but has none of the above advantages with the room hidden away at the back of the property - however, would most Hamilton families know where it is anyway?
Both rooms are about the same size.

I would like people's feedback on what you think is the best option or if you have another brilliant idea on a venue possiblity :D

All Hamilton/ Waikato people interested in helping are invited to another meeting for RNW, this coming Tuesday 9:30am at Bex' place.

Please let us know what you think.
Netty, Mum to:
Mr C (07/98), Mr S (07/00), Mr A (07/02) Mr R (10/04) Miss L (09/06)

Netty
TNN nerd

Post by Netty » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:55 pm

Come on people!

We need some feedback. We have to make a decision really, really soon so we can start advertising and getting other people involved (ie out-of-town WAHMs).

Another thought is a school hall - somewhere central and visible (eg: you can see Frankton School hall from the Massey Street, I'll ask about prices etc on Monday). Does the Fraser gym have a kitchen?

Oh, and don't forget the Friday of RNW is Anzac Day.

A thought for part of say Thursday morning's promotion is having a napicino in a really public place like a food court. Hopefully we might have some T-shirts by then and try to make sure our kiddies cloth bums are visible, if it's not too cold - what do people think?
Netty, Mum to:

SarahS
TNN convert

Post by SarahS » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:14 pm

Hi there

I can help you out a bit on the day (in the morning) as it is school hols all our regular 'activities' are finished. Sorry about the intermittent posts have not been online much. Will PM you my email address as I check that more often.

Can you tell me Leanne's username as I PM'd a Leanne but it wasn't the right person.

Unfortunately can't make Tuesday morning meeting.

A school hall would be good - what about a church hall - where they do Mainly Music. In fact there is this huge group of Mums who do a Plunket catch up a church down the road from us - if you could use part of the same building then you could possibly hold it at the same time as their playgroup or as Mainly Music?

Mazz

Post by Mazz » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:15 pm

I'll try and make the meeting if someone can PM me Bex's address. We won't be able to stay for too long becuase of a prior engagement at 10.30am.

My vote is for the cheaper Parent's Place option, given that many families will already know where it is and the price is much easier to cover. However, that is motivated by me by the fact that I'm not up to doing any sausage sizzles so don't feel like the fundraising option would be fair for me to put forward! Also, as a mum living on the 'East side' :lol: I have never seen/heard of the Western Community Centre and would be more inclined to attend something at the more central Parent's Place.

Netty
TNN nerd

Post by Netty » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:37 pm

Had another thought today about a venue.

The Dinsdale plunket room is at St Davids Church. We could have a display in the Sunday School hall in the next room on Dinsdale's plunket day - and they couldn't object :twisted:
Netty, Mum to:

0ebuny
TNN nerd

Post by 0ebuny » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:44 pm

ok heres my updates

ive booked the awning outside the dinsdale woolworths on friday (the guy said that would probly be the best day)

im in the proces of applying for a permit to use civic plaza (area between garden place and the council buildings)

i also had another thought about the western community centre. as all the other rooms are booked it could be quite busy and hard to find where in the building it is and also there may not be so many empty car parks? just a thought. (not that theres many parks at parents place anyway lol)
BEX

wahm to Mikayla waterbirth on 7/3/05, tristan 4/2/07 and Akasha (unplanned homebirth) 25/4/11
one angel baby Zane

Bum Basics: cheak out our facebook page were having a big sale.

sassydot

Post by sassydot » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:42 pm

Mazz wrote:I'll try and make the meeting if someone can PM me Bex's address. We won't be able to stay for too long becuase of a prior engagement at 10.30am.

My vote is for the cheaper Parent's Place option, given that many families will already know where it is and the price is much easier to cover. However, that is motivated by me by the fact that I'm not up to doing any sausage sizzles so don't feel like the fundraising option would be fair for me to put forward! Also, as a mum living on the 'East side' :lol: I have never seen/heard of the Western Community Centre and would be more inclined to attend something at the more central Parent's Place.

Also, many of the more "affluent" parents from the new parts of town might not be keen to "lower" themselves to go to something in Nawton, IYKWIM :lol:

I am keen to help so will see you all tomorrow

podg
TNN nerd

Post by podg » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:02 am

urggh

Missed this thread and didn't make the meeting. Or the last one.

Any updates?
Paula
Lucky Mummy to three little girls - Miss 6, Miss 4 and Miss 2.
And Mr 1.
Four kids. I'm sure they told me I was infertile...

Netty
TNN nerd

Post by Netty » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:48 pm

We have decided it'll be a whole bunch easier to go with Parents Place.
I was thinking we may get some off-the-street interest, but it seems unlikely, so we're better putting money into advertising.

So our finalised details are:
Real Nappy Week Expo
Parents Place, Boundary Rd
26th April, 8am-2pm
Free entry
Door prizes

Any donations of new nappies (bought or homemade) for door prizes would be most appreciated.

Also if anybody wants to sell second-hand nappies or excess nappy fabrics at the expo talk to Bex.

For our RNW poster we would love to get a photo of lots of children all together, all wearing cloth nappies. If you would be willing to have your child(ren) in this photo, meet at my place at 10am on Tuesday - if this day/time isn't suitable suggest another that would suit you better and we'll see what suits most people. Dress them in their best nappy and a t-shirt to match :D

Once we have some posters printed we can all have some to take to the places we frequent (childcare, playgroups, community noticeboards).

We are still planning do one or two sausage sizzles to raise funds for advertising and so forth. These will be a week or two prior to RNW.

We’re still open to any ideas, so let us know what you think.

ETA: Anybody got thoughts on how we should contact our local papers?
a) I could ring them
b) I could write up a press release sort of thing and e-mail it to them
c) We could ask karmiec (sp?) if we could use her press release with the Auckland information replaced with Hamilton stuff.
Netty, Mum to:

SarahS
TNN convert

Post by SarahS » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:06 pm

I just did a bunch of organising for Teddy Bears Picnic and rung all the local papers.
Best thing is to ring them (I'll PM you the best numbers later) - then follow up with an email and photos.

Websites to go on: eventfinder.co.nz register the event there.
Also the hamilton city council website whats happening guide - you might make it into the next City NEWS publication.

Will have a look and see what else I did to promote - I think it was that and posters everywhere (like libraries, waterworld, lollipops, creches, kindies etc...)

Am happy to come and help on the day but only for the morning. One idea is we could borrow some Toy Library toys to keep our littlies occupied we would just have to make sure none go missing. I know my little girl gets a bit clingy and bored after a short time at the moment which would negate any possible help I could give.

Just edited to say = sorry we can't make Tues mornings unless during hols (a bit selfish but it is Mainly Music morning and the highlight of DD's week )
Last edited by SarahS on Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mel
TNN guru

Post by Mel » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:38 pm

SarahS wrote: One idea is we could borrow some Toy Library toys to keep our littlies occupied we would just have to make sure none go missing. I know my little girl gets a bit clingy and bored after a short time at the moment which would negate any possible help I could give.

Parents Place has boxes of toys :wink:

Sounds good Netty, Good work everyone 8-)

Whens the next cino? Tomorrow? Best go look under cinos.... If its tomorrow Ill bring the demo kit around. Other wise next weeks cino.

SarahS
TNN convert

Post by SarahS » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:43 am

PM'ing my 'media' addresses to you now - any worries let me know.
I rung each the guy from This Week was especially good.
I think if you tell them about the Environment Council bit and the stalls you are organising they will probably be quite interested.

0ebuny
TNN nerd

Post by 0ebuny » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:48 am

bump.

is anything happning this week. did we decide definatly on a date for the photos?
BEX

wahm to Mikayla waterbirth on 7/3/05, tristan 4/2/07 and Akasha (unplanned homebirth) 25/4/11
one angel baby Zane

Bum Basics: cheak out our facebook page were having a big sale.

Netty
TNN nerd

Post by Netty » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:33 pm

Come on guys! So far we've only got three babies - not nearly enough.

We'll have it at the lake me thinks - meet in the toddler play area.

Anybody else? Would would get more if we made it Friday?
Netty, Mum to:

Mel
TNN guru

Post by Mel » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:37 pm

sorry im lost... whats at the lake now??

Return to “Archived - Real Nappy Week 2008”