hamilton events

0ebuny
TNN nerd

Post by 0ebuny » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:25 pm

the reason we packed up early is because the gazebo wasent holding up to all the wind and rain it got and it was hard to nicely display the products and info without it all getting wet and damadged or blowen away. it was hard for people to look at the products and not many wanted to stop and look when the rain and wind got up. so we decided we would display all the stuff at the nappicinos and that way people could have a drink or bikky or whateva and look and touch and have the kids in a safe place(one lady had to keep running after her child and dident really get a good look). so hopefully this weekend will be nicer and warmer.

i went to the teen parent unit at frazer today and gave a short talk about the nappies and showed off a few samples. and advertised the display at the library on saturday. so we might see a few of them there. as some of them had a few questions and seamed interested. one of teachers got a huge suprise when i pulled the first nappy (a pocket) out of the bag she was expecting me to get out some while flats and show the parents how to fold them and tell them about whats good for soaking ect

i was thinking of offering to go and show the parents who are interested how to make them and help them make sum for their own bubas. would anyone be interested in comming along to help out?
BEX

wahm to Mikayla waterbirth on 7/3/05, tristan 4/2/07 and Akasha (unplanned homebirth) 25/4/11
one angel baby Zane

Bum Basics: cheak out our facebook page were having a big sale.

shorty
TNN nerd

Post by shorty » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:53 pm

hi bex

hope you had a rest on sunday. you guys did a great job in that weather on sat. i would be really keen to help out if you go to fraser to make nappies. would just need a bit of notice to be able to farm the kids out.
that is great that you went along to talk. i've got about 4 people keen to learn how to sew them down here in ta. in fact justene - if you read this would u be keen to do a sewachino sometime- my place would be ok. maybe an evening. maybe in a few weeks time.

hey- another thing. i found out i won one of the grand prizes on the gdunh. i am still in shock!! :dancin:

0ebuny
TNN nerd

Post by 0ebuny » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:12 pm

ohhh yay congrats how exciting.

im not really sure how it would work yet like paying for materials ect so im thinking maybe next term. i havent talked to the teacher about it i thought id see if anyone was willing to help incase there were a few people interested and wouldent be able to do it all cumfortably (sp?) myself.

how many ppl would you need do you think? like ratio teacher:student
BEX

wahm to Mikayla waterbirth on 7/3/05, tristan 4/2/07 and Akasha (unplanned homebirth) 25/4/11
one angel baby Zane

citrus
TNN convert

Post by citrus » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:53 pm

0ebuny wrote:the reason we packed up early is because the gazebo wasent holding up to all the wind and rain it got and it was hard to nicely display the products and info without it all getting wet and damadged or blowen away. it was hard for people to look at the products and not many wanted to stop and look when the rain and wind got up. so we decided we would display all the stuff at the nappicinos and that way people could have a drink or bikky or whateva and look and touch and have the kids in a safe place(one lady had to keep running after her child and dident really get a good look). so hopefully this weekend will be nicer and warmer.

That would have been fine, except that it was advertised that we would be there until 4pm. I don't know how to say this without offending anyone but when you say you are going to do something you should do it, or perhaps let the volunteer who was made to feel unwelcome there in the first place ("We have too many people") finish the job for you? I also wonder if you wouldn't have given up so soon if you had put yourselves on that roster instead of attempting the whole day.
Also were you guys even going to come and tell me you were leaving? :?

On another subject has anyone made posters or anything to put at the front of the libraries to say which rooms the nappicinos are in?

0ebuny
TNN nerd

Post by 0ebuny » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:34 pm

it wasent the fact that we were sick of being there or anything like that. the gazebo broke so we were standing in the rain. we tried to put all the nappies and info into plastic bags to stop them getting wet or damaged but we dident have many bags and it was hard to see them and a few people dident really want to get them out and disturb things and even in the bags some of the lighter ones keept blowing away.

we were tying to work out if anyone had a cell phone number for you which we couldent find and i was going to go tell you but then you came back.

i was just thinking we might need posters especally at the cental one. u beat me too it. got any good ideas you might be the bst for that one i dont even know where the room at the central library is.
BEX

one angel baby Zane

shorty
TNN nerd

Post by shorty » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:08 pm

re teaching students. It would be great to have 1 teacher per 2 students and talk them thru each stage and let them do it as we go. I have just managed to make 10 pocket nappies Pul/suedecloth for about $10- 12 each. (without inserts) We might get costs down even further if we could buy in bulk?
What do you think?

0ebuny
TNN nerd

Post by 0ebuny » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:14 pm

yea bulk is deffinatly an option i have lots of sample cards and have the contatcs to get stuff wholesale
BEX

one angel baby Zane

justene
TNN nerd

Post by justene » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:30 pm

hey ypi i will be keen on doing that, it sounds like fun!, wow that is so cool about winning the prize! i gave up
my 4 awesome girls! Amy 3/06 Jade 3/06 Reese 5/09 Zoe 6/11

citrus
TNN convert

Post by citrus » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:41 pm

0ebuny wrote:it wasent the fact that we were sick of being there or anything like that. the gazebo broke so we were standing in the rain. we tried to put all the nappies and info into plastic bags to stop them getting wet or damaged but we dident have many bags and it was hard to see them and a few people dident really want to get them out and disturb things and even in the bags some of the lighter ones keept blowing away.

We will have to disagree on this then. I feel responsible for anyone who came afterwards and found nothing there.

i was just thinking we might need posters especally at the cental one. u beat me too it. got any good ideas you might be the bst for that one i dont even know where the room at the central library is.

I will do some for the central library then, has anyone been to the dinsdale library? I don't know where the room is in there.

Mel
TNN guru

Post by Mel » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:00 pm

citrus Im going to butt in here. When you came back I said "well you can stick around and hand out flyers but im going home" and you walked off. If you were that worried you would of stuck around.
Also please remember there was a lil wee newborn that was outside in that weather! Not to mention my boy.
There were people stopping by but they getting wet and not really interested in standing in the rain so they were handed flyers about the nappicino.
Yes were trying to work out how to contact you, we let those that we had numbers to know.
Kimber was also one that also didnt know till she showed up and it was gone. Thankfully we were still loading up the van

Also
Thank you to all the Helpers on the day. And Bex, Km, and Citrus for all your work planning the day.
Thank you to those that donated a prize (and thanks for the offers ) theres an awesome stash, I will post pics in a min.

Citrus Im not going to help sort out the libraries, I need a break after the last week of dealing with the display.
I will be there on the day with the samples.

Mel
TNN guru

Post by Mel » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:04 pm

Oh and Jenny what the heck was the prize???? your must have a pretty flash looking stash now!!

citrus
TNN convert

Post by citrus » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:34 pm

Mel wrote:citrus Im going to butt in here. When you came back I said "well you can stick around and hand out flyers but im going home" and you walked off. If you were that worried you would of stuck around.

With what? you had taken everything. 1 person handing out flyers with no table or anything isn't exactly easy to find if you came in looking for a stand. fyi the weather fined up and we stayed in town with my boy all afternoon.
Also I did mention the possibility of rain early in the planning to be told that "It wasn't going to rain" yet I am the only one who was prepared to stick it out when you all refused to plan for it in the first place. And rain isn't exactly an unexpected occurance in Hamilton it rains all the time.

Also please remember there was a lil wee newborn that was outside in that weather! Not to mention my boy.

Thats fine, you could have gone home and left me with the stand.

There were people stopping by but they getting wet and not really interested in standing in the rain so they were handed flyers about the nappicino.

So there were people stopping, and getting flyers for the nappicino and this didn't seem like a good idea to you?

I know you are trying to rationalize your decision to leave and I'm not going to be able to convince you otherwise.

Mel
TNN guru

Post by Mel » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:52 pm

oh for petes sake and what were going to do with the stand afterwards??? take it home on the bus?
I wasnt going to go back in to town and risk getting another ticket from the parking warden.

Im happy with my decision I of all people wanted to be there all day after all the work i put in to organising it. So theres no rationazling going on here, Just trying to explain. Perhaps if you had stuick around you could of been part of the decision making. Im so over this whole thing, it impossible to please everyone. Next year you can plan the whole thing, be there the whole day and make all the decisions.

citrus
TNN convert

Post by citrus » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:57 pm

Mel wrote:Citrus Im not going to help sort out the libraries, I need a break after the last week of dealing with the display.
I will be there on the day with the samples.

What planning needs to be done for the nappicinos? The rooms are booked, I will make some signs for the central library. Can someone in Dinsdale check the room in the Dinsdale library and see if we need a sign? I am on the other side of town so I don't really want to go all the way over there just for that.
I wasn't planning on doing anymore than that...so if someone else wants to provide refreshments or something.

Also for the competition I made some wipes but didn't get a chance to give them to anyone on Saturday so if you want them, let me know what to do with them. Also I said I would make gift bags but I haven't yet, so if you want them then let me know and I will make them.

citrus
TNN convert

Post by citrus » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:07 pm

Mel wrote:Perhaps if you had stuick around you could of been part of the decision making.

instead of taking the easy job of staying and talking like everyone else who were scaring people away I went and handed out flyers, I did this because I care, not because I thought it would be fun to go off by myself. You could have come and got me. it was only 5 minutes walk away.

Next year you can plan the whole thing, be there the whole day and make all the decisions.

Sorry but I have plenty of other volunteer work to do where I can be productive and people appreciate what I do. I am obviously not appreciated here so it will be better for everyone if I don't help next year.

Return to “Archived - Real Nappy Week 2007”