Dunedin

moppit
TNN addict

Post by moppit » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:59 pm

Chris took Odin to the library on Sunday and he hit a little girl on the head with the trailor off the tractor! SHAME!!

Angel
TNN guru

Post by Angel » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:02 pm

Oh no!!! Hopefully its fine on Friday, we havent been to the gardens for a while.
Aimee http://www.ravelry.com/projects/angeldunedin
~ Ella - 11 years old ~ Toby - 8.5 years old ~ Olivia - 5.5 years old ~
ImageImage

helennz
TNN nerd

Post by helennz » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:53 am

I can do knitting instruction. I have lots of soaker patterns and a few longie patterns. Also gives me an excuse to knit some :smt041 :smt041
Helen: Ask me about the Dunedin snap press, demo kit, newborn hire kit, handknit soakers and longies
Mum to Sam, Mollie and Meghan
I blog here: [url]http://purplefish.g.org.nz[/url]

helennz
TNN nerd

Post by helennz » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:56 am

I also Second South Dunedin. there are lots of young families here. Mine being one of them.
Helen: Ask me about the Dunedin snap press, demo kit, newborn hire kit, handknit soakers and longies
Mum to Sam, Mollie and Meghan
I blog here: [url]http://purplefish.g.org.nz[/url]

AbbeHG
TNN nerd

Post by AbbeHG » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:27 pm

Hi Moppit,
I was going to say 'welcome to Dunedin nappy group' but I see you joined in July last year - have we met? please remind me if we have.

It's great to have some new enthusiam and ideas.
I'm all for more suggestions for RNW '07. And anyone who would like to do some public promoting of cloth is MORE than welcome.

A note though, time is of the essence. For example, in order to get our 'event' advertised in the NEV community newsletter (for example) we have to get the copy to Geraldine by the first week in Feb.
Abbe
I love sewing and have plenty of material witnesses. ~Author Unknown

moppit
TNN addict

Post by moppit » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:08 pm

Other ideas before I forget them.

Poor people are unlikely to own sewing machines. Is there any chance of having a monthly meeting in a home ec room?

How about phoning every childcare centre in Dunedin and asking if they allow cloth nappies and making a list? We could make it sound like all the cool kids are on the list ;)

Also you know how old people with lots of time on their hands knit cardies and stuff for sally army stores and womens refuge and that. Maybe we could approach them with the idea that MCNs might be useful for new mums.

Abby you used to serve me at the post office. Also you collected some nappies off me when I lived in PineHill. My son is Odin. Also Tom goes to daycare with my friend Abi's son Xavier. So we sort of know each other.

Angel
TNN guru

Post by Angel » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:15 pm

Thats a different Abby - this is Abbe ;)
ImageImage

moppit
TNN addict

Post by moppit » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:33 pm

oh jeez how many Abbys are there? It that why they all spell there names differently?

I thought she did the cloth stuff here as she was the one who told me about TNN and nappicinos??

So then no I havent met you I dont think :)

Annabella
TNN nerd

Post by Annabella » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:33 pm

moppit wrote:Other ideas before I forget them.

Poor people are unlikely to own sewing machines. Is there any chance of having a monthly meeting in a home ec room?

How about phoning every childcare centre in Dunedin and asking if they allow cloth nappies and making a list? We could make it sound like all the cool kids are on the list ;)

Also you know how old people with lots of time on their hands knit cardies and stuff for sally army stores and womens refuge and that. Maybe we could approach them with the idea that MCNs might be useful for new mums.

Abby you used to serve me at the post office. Also you collected some nappies off me when I lived in PineHill. My son is Odin. Also Tom goes to daycare with my friend Abi's son Xavier. So we sort of know each other.

Firstly, I think we should be careful what terms we use to describe people, I am a single parent on a student allowance and I know there are plenty of us on low incomes but I object to be called 'poor people' I actually find it a bit offensive. And I own a sewing machine - not everyone who is 'poor' always has been. - Thats not directed at you Moppit, just an observation. I have been thinking about it for a few days but your post reminded me :D
We can target low income families without excluding others.

I think the idea of compiling a list of Dunedin cloth friendly centres is great and I would be happy to help with that one as I can do it from home but I am not sure how much else I will be able to do at this stage as I have a very heavy course load this year.

I also think the idea of getting some older experienced sewers to teach people some basic sewing skills is a great idea but I am not sure how to go about it.

And yes, I found the Abbe/Abby confusing too, for a start until I had met you both :D 8-)

moppit
TNN addict

Post by moppit » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:47 pm

How about financially challanged? ;) j/k

Sorry if I offended you. I didnt grow up poor but Ive been poor ever since I left home so Im used to it. I see it kind of as a challenge and a chance to be resourceful. So I dont really think of 'poor' as a bad word.

Of course some people with less money would have sewing machines. Plenty have Sky etc plus there is always a way to afford things you really want.

I was kind of thinking maybe a night class like they run at high schools or we could crash one that just runs general sewing. I know they have a patchworking class at least.

Annabella
TNN nerd

Post by Annabella » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:25 pm

How about financially challanged? Wink j/k

Love it! :lol:

moppit
TNN addict

Post by moppit » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:30 am

For those who dont read their junk mail:

Kaikorai Valley has a Sewing class on Mondays 12 Feb - 8 weeks. Its 7-9 pm and costs $50.

Logan Park has AA Sewing Thursdays 7-9pm starting Feb 15. $60 for 8 weeks.

Taieri College has Sewing for beginners Tuesdays 7-9pm Starting Feb 13. $45 for 8 weeks.

Taieri College also has "Time out with Threads" Mon 1.30-3.30pm. Starting Feb12 $10 for 8 weeks.

helen
TNN nerd

could

Post by helen » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:14 am

be good for those who dont own sewing machines and have a few spare dollars to spare

LemonNZ
TNN guru

Post by LemonNZ » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:37 pm

Please refer to this if you would like posters or static display materials in the standard format for Real Nappy Week.

http://www.thenappynetwork.org.nz/phpBB ... 715#206715

Angel
TNN guru

Post by Angel » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:40 pm

Well - if Dunedin is going to do anything for RNW2007, we need to sort it NOW.

We dont *have* to do anything, I believe we are having another display in the Green Party front window (who was organising that?) any ideas for a theme for the display this time?
ImageImage

Return to “Archived - Real Nappy Week 2007”