Tone/Emphasis?

ness
TNN nutter

Tone/Emphasis?

Post by ness » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:24 am

OK, so having read some of the UK info there seems to be a fairly heavy emphasis on environmental factors, and wonder about playing up that spect of things here.
I know we tend to avoid this aspect at times, focusing on the cute fluffies.I am going to have displays at the PN and Fielding Libraries, and am considering content atthe moment.

I am leaning in favour of a split display, ie 2 halves.
One half environmental impact, and the other the pro-cloth, look what is available.

I was thinking a fairly large poster with:

Some people try to tell you disposables are no worse for the environment then cloth.
We'd like you to know it's...

(Big picture (not photo, likely drawn)of a rubbish sack with a few flies hovering round with "RUBBISH" printed in big letters on the front)

Underneath I'd like to refute some of the issues like energy and water use for cloth in smaller bullet points

I then considered 2 photos side by side, one a dog torn rubbish sack with sposies strewn (we've all seen it), and another with a selection of cloth nappies drying on the line.

I haven't decided on a caption here yet. Can't make up my mind between "Which would you rather see?", or the more cynical, "Which would you rather your neighbours saw?"

Which sort of leads to the cloth promo side, and there I'll have pics of as many of the locally available nappies as I can, URL for the site, info on ease of use/laundering, maybe some fabric samples (microfleece, sudecloth, and I might be a little bit naughty here and slip a piece of sposie inner in too for comparison).

Anyways, before I get really carried away sorting this out I'd like feedback.
I don't want to get it all sorted and find that everyone is a lot more comfortable with a less militant (lol), more cute fluffy approach.

Stacey
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Stacey » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:45 am

Personally - Id keep the enviro stuff for places you know it will go down well - like the sustainability/eco show. There you have a 'captive market' of people already concerned about the environment and ready for the hard facts.
The general public doesnt usually like to be confronted with stuff like that. Thats where the whole 'sposie guilt trip' thing comes from. Its that whole 'tall poppy' NZ attitude :roll: If we point out the facts about cloth, people start complaining that we are saying they are bad parents, or cloth users are better parents. We all know thats not true and not what we are trying to say!

Id say - hook them on the cute, easy, affordable angle...then put in a small mention of the enviro stuff - like a line or two about 'a cup of crude oil' or 'every baby produces 2 tonnes of disposable waste'.

Maybe a flier with the enviro stuff - then people can choose to read it or not, rather than being 'confronted' with a poster (which sounds ridiculous - no-ones forcing them to look at the poster, but thats the kind of reaction you can get).

Unless of course, you think it would go down ok in your area. I know it'd probably be fine in say Kiakora, where they are big on environmental issues.

ClothConvert
TNN nerd

Post by ClothConvert » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:30 pm

I also personally prefer to point out all the positives about cloth rather than all the negatives about disposables. Because my take is that we don't want TNN to come across as cloth nazis, with holier than thou attitude. I find that you can draw people in a lot better that way, then when they're hooked, you let out the real facts.

Also, sometimes I wonder how many people feel that there's not much they can do even though they may have some kind of awareness about the need to be environment conscious...so they put it in the it's too hard basket, or that they will be fighting a losing battle anyway cos' in their minds the majority of people ain't doin it....by saying something like our household rubbish more than halved each week since the switch from sposie to cloth, that is relevant to them and a significant/real difference to them that they can see/experience, ykwim?

ClothConvert
TNN nerd

Post by ClothConvert » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:34 pm

oh Stacey, just read your post...we're saying the same thing...yay!

ClothConvert
TNN nerd

Post by ClothConvert » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:37 pm

ah, by the way Ness, I think you have some good ideas there...perhaps you could advertise for a separate session, call it something like "the real cost of disposable nappies" and then you'll know you have an audience that will be receptive to that kind of info.

themuelsmum
TNN nutter

Post by themuelsmum » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:59 pm

I usually focus on the easy and cheep then go for the cutness and a little on environment.

Sounds like you have a good spot and ideas, it'll look great. :smt023
Nicky SAHMum to Sam'themuel' born 14 July 04 and now Rob the monster born 17 Dec 06.

Occasionally popping my head out of the sludge of running round after three demanding boys :-)

nova
TNN oracle

Post by nova » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:02 pm

you could always point out how much smaller their rubbish will be each week.. its small, something that they can relate to and feel that they can make a difference to, rather than the sposie mountains IYKWIM.. :D
:star:

Return to “Archived - Real Nappy Week 2006”