An article about TNN + my nappy experience

Kaz
TNN guru

An article about TNN + my nappy experience

Post by Kaz » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:54 pm

Thought this might be useful if anyone wanted to write an article about TNN for RNW.

I wrote this 2yrs ago, so obviously could do with some updating :lol:
I'll be happy to update if anyone wants to use it. :D

"The Nappy Network is a non profit organisation set up 2 1/2yrs ago, for educational and charitable purposes within New Zealand, in particular to promote awareness and education among New Zealanders of:
a) the availability and ease of use of modern reusable nappy systems
b) the cost effectiveness and environmental benefits of modern reusable nappy systems

We also seek support of government agencies, councils, antenatal educators, healthcare professionals, parenting education organisations and community education organisations to promote awareness of modern reusable nappies.

The Nappy Network main web page has general information about the benefits of cloth nappies both social and environmental it also has information on the different nappy systems that are now available.

The forum on the website is a community of women whose common interest is cloth nappies. Some use the forum for gaining further information, some for sharing their creative efforts in making nappies and others for the general discussions on parenting, the environment, and just spending time with their friends. As a community we are a mixed bunch. Most of us have small children in nappies, some are grandparents, some are aunties and our world views vary from dedicated environmentalists to those of us who use cloth part time.

From early on TNN members have strived to re educate people about the viability of using cloth nappies. Gone are the days of origami, pins and huge amounts of bleach in buckets. Modern cloth nappies are easy to use and easy to care for.

TNN has demonstrators all over the country who are happy to talk to groups about modern cloth nappies, these demonstrators are volunteers and do not sell products. We run many gatherings Nappicinos (coffee mornings) sewicinos, kniticinos, crocheticinos(craft sessions). We like to meet for social events and to learn from each other. We also like to share information with others. Here in Christchurch we have held a Nappy Expo for the last 2 years, we have had information about modern cloth nappies displayed in council buildings and malls. We have made and donated cloth information kits to all antennal class providers and we have lobbied the council to run a cloth nappy incentive scheme through the Waste Minimisation Programme. Similar initiatives are happening all over the country.

My journey into parenting began 10 1/2yrs ago. My daughter was born and along with her came the cloth nappy service from the hospital. Cloth nappies were still, in my mind normal (although I suspect now they weren’t) and they were what I used. Nappy folding, pins and fluffy pants became part of my routine. Admittedly I used disposables for nights for that well needed sleep and not wanting to change her every feed. Nappy washing was not an issue compared to the amount of washing created by a reflux baby. We had all the stereotypical problems with nappies, leaks from gaping legs, ineffective nappy covers and plastic covers causing sweat rashes. Ours became a very economic choice with the cost of disposables being out of our budget.

The arrival of baby #2, 2yrs later heralded a change in society. Disposable nappies were provided in the hospital and most people thought I was insane for using cloth nappies. Why would I waste my time and energy washing nappies? I started to find that prolonged use of disposable nappies would cause a severe rash, which would only clear when he was back in cloth. I nappied much the same as with my first child, with a couple of small changes. I progressed to using a Velcro band on the nappies instead of pins and found a much better cover that you ‘pad’ folded a nappy into and did everything up at once. These covers were very expensive, so I had 2, which were saved for special occasions.

Baby #3 arrived in much the same way as baby #2 and the cloth nappies continued. Even more people thought I was insane and some even ventured to tell me how ‘brave’ I was. Money was even more of an issue and we continued to use cloth nappies for the money saving benefits. Baby #3 did however have more disposables used on him. His reflux, allergies and asthma started proving too much for him and he would react badly to disposable nappies. We tried an early type of modern cloth nappy, which was an improvement on the earlier styles. He was toilet trained quickly but his night wetting continues (he is 5yrs). He reacted so badly the last time he wore a disposable (over 2yrs ago) he is now petrified at the suggestion of wearing one. This reaction was a major turning point in my use of cloth and my attitude towards disposable nappies.

During my pregnancy with baby #4 we had acquired a computer and my search to buy new nappy covers took an exciting turn. I had spoken to overseas friends about what nappies used and had discovered there was a whole new world of modern cloth nappies. My only problem now was choice, what to buy and how it would fit into the budget. I was given a one size nappy system, second hand from a friend so I was ready to cloth nappy my 4th child differently.

Baby #4 spent the first few months of his life in disposable nappies, due to me having carpal tunnel problems in both wrists and found hanging up washing and fastening snaps on nappies extremely painful. During this period we discovered that his skin would only tolerate the ‘premium’ nappies which came at a premium price. I was keen to resume using cloth nappies for his skin and our budget as soon as possible. I resumed using cloth during the day, as with the other children. That was until he started leaking out of his disposable nappy nearly every night. The company’s advice was to put two nappies on at once, so the second nappy would absorb the leakage. At this point I decided there must be a better, cheaper way to keep him dry at night.
I searched the internet and discovered hemp and other super absorbent fibres. My boy was dry from 7pm – 7am and there was no turning back, 100% cloth and loving it!

Soon after I stumbled across TNN, and discovered a whole community of like minded women. No one telling me I was insane or courageous, just interesting thoughts and friendship. I found some very useful information, shared problem solving and the opportunity to meet some new people. I started getting passionate about cloth nappies. Yes, passionate! I loved how they kept my baby’s cloths dry, I loved being able to put one rubbish bag out every fortnight and I loved being able to create new nappies. I had found a new and useful outlet for my creative energy knitting and sewing were once again something I could justify spending time on. TNN also provided an opportunity for me to get involved in the wider community. I have been involved in organising several events promoting cloth nappies from setting up displays, organising nappy events, making resource kits, to fielding media interest in cloth nappies. I can honestly say I now own more cloth nappies than it is possible to use on a baby – I will definitely have to stop sewing. I feel my baby’s health is benefiting from being in cloth nappies 100% of the time. I know the environment is benefiting from my use of cloth nappies and our budget is definitely better off with our choice to use cloth.
You can never really take control of your life but you can control how you choose to live it.

Amethyst
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Amethyst » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:59 pm

Baby #5?? ;)
Pooh-Bah, Lord High everything else :roll:
Mamma to 3 wee product testers :king: 12 :king: 10 :queen: 8

Kaz
TNN guru

Post by Kaz » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:02 pm

Like I said was written a couple of years ago :lol:

Don't want people thinking I'm a nymphomaniac :wink:
You can never really take control of your life but you can control how you choose to live it.

Amethyst
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Amethyst » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:04 pm

awww poor lelo ;)
Pooh-Bah, Lord High everything else :roll:
Mamma to 3 wee product testers :king: 12 :king: 10 :queen: 8

Return to “Archived - Real Nappy Week 2009”