Auckland Expo Volunteers

karmiec
TNN oracle

Post by karmiec » Fri May 01, 2009 8:56 pm

My suggestion is that people discuss "superior leg elastic" in cloth nappies (and optional gussets) and "to prevent leaks of any kind" ... first time mums (particularly those who are preggy) are likely to not have their head around how much poo they are going to see over the next three years.

If someone comes to you with an issue with their existing nappies you can use an "I" statement but I would generally suggest they check the specifics with their retailler/manufacturer. Thinking in particular of soaking or striping washes which if you manufacturer explicitly says not to use say vinegard it could invalidate the warranty if there was a genuine issue with them.

In that situation I would say "I have heard of three ways of dealing with that : Baking soda and vinegar, dishwashing liquid and comericial nappy soaks. I tried the baking soda and haven't had an issue since... You should check with [brandname] to see what they advise" :wink:

Most of it is really that you don't need to answer questions that haven't been asked. Newbies won't be sold on starting cloth by good explaination of striping. They are more likely to be sold by the dry pail : then straight into the machine for a wash cycle with an extra rinse.
Lisa

ClothConvert
TNN nerd

Post by ClothConvert » Sat May 02, 2009 12:38 am

yeah, I generally avoid talking about how to strip nappies. Only if someone has a specific problem with their nappies and you discern that it may have to do with build up issues.

Basically, just try to think like a newbie, and follow the Keep It Simple principle. Especially for a first time parent, everything about having a newborn is overwhelming enough.

Typically, newbie questions are about:

1) number of nappies they will need (which of course depends on various things ie type of nappies, frequency of washing, age/stage of baby). Sometimes, this concern appears in the form of the question: "How much are cloth nappies gonna cost me?"

2) washing and care of nappies

3) how to deal with the poos (!!!)

Be there to tell people what TNN is about (ie promoting/advocating cloth) and avoid the dissing of sposies that admittedly sometimes some of us seasoned/cloth addicts have a tendency to do in our familiar forum. So you know, keep throwing out info about the positives of cloth rather than saying negative things about throwaway nappies.

And re the washing of nappies, I tend to talk about how it is a personal choice too. Once at a know how, I was saying that cold wash is absolutely fine but that most washing machine manuals would recommend a hot wash cycle every 7-10 washes... one of the people attending is a German (or Dutch? can't remember) - he was in absolute disgust at the thought of washing nappies in cold water, and started off on his soapbox :) ...so since then I realise sometimes we gotta be culturally sensitive too (like don't tell Maori families that it's fine to wash baby's clothes with baby's nappies! so for them a nappy load is an extra load of washing) so better to say something like some people choose to wash in cold water, some in warm, that generally nappy manufacturers' instructions would be no more than 60 degree C...

Have fun! You'll all be infectious with your enthusiasm/passion for cloth, I have no doubt of that :)

aidanasher
TNN nerd

Post by aidanasher » Sat May 02, 2009 4:10 pm

Just wanna thank everyone who helps and all the retailers!! not as busy as we expected but it was fun :D

rebeccal
TNN nerd

Post by rebeccal » Sat May 02, 2009 5:20 pm

Yes, thanks everyone for a fantastic day - what a shame about the weather! But all the volunteers did us proud. Lovely to meet those of you who I haven't met before, and to see those of you I already know again.

karmiec
TNN oracle

Post by karmiec » Sat May 02, 2009 8:15 pm

Lots of lovely vounteers and retaillers today!! And the ladies we did talk to seemed really interested (must have been to come out in that weather.... note for next year, book in sunny weather at least 3 months in advance :wink: )
Lisa

k8ylou
TNN nerd

Post by k8ylou » Sun May 03, 2009 9:08 pm

Thank you so much to everyone who was there yesterday, and to Rebecca and Lisa who did so much organising!

Return to “Archived - Real Nappy Week 2009”