Christchurch - DIY focus - Class THIS Sunday! update p3

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Wed May 20, 2009 7:44 pm

Thanks for the feedback, it has given me something to ponder when feeding Will.

Can't skip the afternoon tea ;) Have told the ladies it's provided, and I have the biscuits already ;) I think it will be nice to take a wee break and have a cuppa - even if it's just to stand up, stretch, walk a little and take it to their machines.

I have decided I will cut out the pieces - I can still explain how the orientation goes etc.

My draft timeline is something like this;
1pm Formal start (they have been told the room will be open from 12.30 - hopefully most will manage to be there a few minutes early to set up their machine)
- Orientation of PUL/microfleece (both stretch, wrong/right sides),
- Pattern - tracing, various marks
- Snapping!
(while waiting to snap people can thread up machines if need be, etc)

1.30 To the machines to sew! Sewing right sides together.

1.50 Leg elastic in seam & casing (time to grab a drink/bikkie when finished/need a break etc)

2.20 Back elastic

2.40 Snap wings, pack up machine when waiting for snap press

I know it seems like a ridiculous amount of time for somethings, but it does take a long time to start, stop, start, stop and allow for various things like temperamental machines etc.

Right, now pulling all the responses together - wow, thanks guys! Heaps of help, we should be just fine - even if half of you don't end up making it.

Helpers on the day (all going to plan at home ;)):
Claire
Kaz
Goldilocks
Laura
Hannah

Snap press:
Claire
Kaz
Goldilocks
Laura
Hannah
(rootoo if needed)
(poppy4 if needed)

Extra bits:
Goldilocks - fabrics banner

I am thinking that it would be worth having a few spare sewing machines there in case some are being temperamental or they forget their powercord or something. Only one person has indicated that they don't have a sewing machine to bring, so I have a spare all sorted for her. So, if you have a sewing machine you're happy to bring, feel free. (and feel free to bring nappies to finish just in case ;))

Oh, and at this stage we have a full class of 10 8-) One lady has put in tentative apologies and if she can't make it wants her friend attending the class to take the kit home to teach her ;) Another is due to have a baby any day now so we'll see how she feels on the day.

Laura - :oops: I am so sorry, I missed your question earlier :oops: What are people's thoughts on having a fabric table? My only hesitation is to do with a cash float for change. I have already emailed everyone today with a few last details, but I'd be happy to email them again to warn them fabrics will be available (and to bring extra $) if this is something we would like to do.

Now, before I forget. The Learning Centre has its own entrance - walk past the main Library Entrance towards the river and you'll see the entrance by a bike stand. There is a buzzer at the door.

So a few "specific" jobs up for grabs on Sunday:
1. Greeter at the swipe door to swipe people in as necessary
2. Greeter at the room door to check off their attendance, take $, provide them with their labelled kit etc
3. Someone to take charge of the afternoon tea - I have the biscuits already. It's just a case of boiling the jug or urn, and putting all the stuff out. The dirty cups go in the dishwasher so no washing required.
Otherwise, float around or buddy up with someone or whatever you consider a good job for you on the day.

:) (BBL I'm sure ;))
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Fri May 22, 2009 2:15 pm

Those of you coming on Sunday, do any of you have butter or baby blue in your stash? I have just 0.5 m cuts, and unfortunately the ladies wanting these colours (1 x butter, 1 x baby blue) want the size L pattern, of which mine is 53 cm long so my 50 cm cuts are too short. Soooo, if any of you happen to have a piece in your stash I can buy off or swap with you (I'm allocated $3 per PUL cut from their class fee) I would be grateful. Of course I can contact them an arrange for another colour but I'm a bit wary about turning up with a colour I've not offered (don't want it looking like I've given special treatment to some KWIM?).

:)
Leanne
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Fri May 22, 2009 3:14 pm

Oh and Kaz, LMK on Sunday morning if you're not able to make it (totally understand if you can't) and I'll swing by on my way to the Learning Centre to grab the name labels. :) Ta!
Leanne

Goldilocks
TNN nerd

Post by Goldilocks » Sat May 23, 2009 10:16 pm

Hey Leanne,
Sorry I haven't been on to check what's been happening! :oops: Finally feeling a bit better so will be there tomorrow! :D I think I have both baby blue and butter microfleece if you haven't found any yet?Um will bring my sewing machine along as well just incase..The time line is looking good!I'm happy to do whatever job I'm needed for! Meet and greet, sign in, tea coffee..whatever! :D

See you about 12.30?Hopefully I can find it!! :lol: :wink:
~Carla~

Proud mummy to 3 boys..
kayd 23/6/02
Kyan 11/9/06
Rafferty 6/5/10
Life is crazy!

<---My 3 gorgeous boys!

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Sun May 24, 2009 8:45 am

See you there Carla!

Don't worry about the fabrics - it was PUL I was wanting and since that post I've substituted colours.

Leanne

Laura
TNN guru

Post by Laura » Sun May 24, 2009 8:55 am

im all ready for today. do i need to bring anything else apart from my snap press (do i bring snaps too?. feel free to give me a non sewing job as im not the neatest lol.
The reason I am the person I have become!
Our journey from IVF to Freya http://babybuilding.wordpress.com

Middy
TNN guru

Post by Middy » Sun May 24, 2009 9:19 am

I'm not going to be able to make it, sorry :oops: My wee sis is competing in Rockquest again, and she's going to WIN, so we need to be there giving vocal support.

Any idea how to make earmuffs for babies? :shock:

Good luck, I'm sure it will go without a hitch.
Sophie: April 20, 2007 and Caleb: September 12, 2008 and...
http://db-bellzone.blogspot.com/

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Sun May 24, 2009 9:32 am

Have fun Middy :)

Laura, maybe bring your machine just in case someone elses isn't working (or they forget their pedal or something?). No snaps required - I have white snaps here bought with class fees.

Leanne

Louise
TNN oracle

Post by Louise » Sun May 24, 2009 9:35 am

Hope the class goes well today girls.

Sorry I can't be there. We don't usually get home from church until 1pm so bad timing for us.
Mum of 6

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Sun May 24, 2009 4:34 pm

Weeeeellll, I think it went really well! Thanks to you all whom made it!

We're heading out to a family tea soon so I can't type much, I have a few things to jot down/discuss to improve for next time.

EVERYONE left with a gorgeous looking nappy! Woohoo! I know that my kindy friend hasn't touched a sewing machine for years and I think she was pretty stoked with her nappy. Yay! A couple of the ladies were taking theirs home to redo the back elastic, but they reassured me that they would be fine at home. (I'll follow that up in a couple of days). Apart from that all the nappies were ready to wear :)

Anyway, will be back later with a few critiques, but I just wanted to say a huge thanks to you ladies for helping to make this a very positive event.

Leanne

Kaz
TNN guru

Post by Kaz » Sun May 24, 2009 5:32 pm

:D Methinks it went really well for a guinea pig class :lol:

Some things I've been thinking about :wink:

Maybe allow a bit more time for late comers or tell them class starts 15 - 30mins earlier. (I know some people are habitual late comers so it's better to tell them to come earlier and they will turn up on time :wink: )

If it's going to be a regular thing, would it be worth investing in a few snap pliers to help avoid the bottle neck at the presses or to give people the option of sewing and then snapping.

:wink: Might need to update helpers on the back casing :lol: old hat for me and you, but a little new for some.

Perfect number of people for the space and perfect space 8-)

Wouldn't worry about refreshments next time - maybe some water, not many people had time to have a hot drink.

A sign outside would be helpful and maybe the sign in desk at the door to swipe people in.

Give yourself a pat on the back :smt041

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Mon May 25, 2009 9:05 am

Back again while the baby sleeps (and Kindy has already started :lol: )

People:
We had 8 ladies turn up for the class. There was another lady whom emailed apologies this week and asked if I could send the kit that had been cut out for her home with her friend whom was at the class, and she would teach her (she paid the class fee).
There was a 10th kit made up for a lady whom did not show up. She put her name down at the RNW Expo but did not pay a deposit as she did not have money on her. Not a bit issue this time around, but could become an issue if people don't show?
We had 4 people sign up at the Expo. Another lady found out about the class here on TNN. A couple were via EBB. The rest were friends of people already coming. (so that is 6 bookings by email).

Money:
$90 total in class fees - $10 class fee for each person (x8 in person + 1 with apologies)

$25 Bumbles for 1m seaspray PUL & 2 x snaps
$9 extra PUL from my stash (3 x cuts since there weren't enough requests to make it worthwhile buying another metre of something)
$10 microfleece from Kutwells
$2 elastic & labels (from my stash)
$10 biscuits & snap lock bags
$6 coffee etc paid to Learning Centre ($1/cup)
$11 pins & needles
$3 interfacing for the patterns (from my stash)
$ 76 Total expenses

$14 left over for the nappy class kitty (as well as the left over snaps & pins & needles). We also have $8 left over from the Expo, so that's $22 in the nappy class kitty.

Contact before the class:
I emailed everyone early last week to remind them of the details. I included instructions on how to find the Learning Centre, and invited them to arrive any time after 12.30 to set up their machine. I had been contacted by email almost everyone at some stage, but this did not prove to be an issue for me (with time spent doing reply emails).

PUL issues:
We had offered 3 colours to those coming; butter, seaspray & baby blue. Seaspray was VERY popular with 7 people requesting this colour, 1 x butter and 2 x baby blue. Because of the low numbers for butter & baby blue I did not bother ordering a metre of these, knowing I had some in my stash. Unfortunately it was not until later in the week that I realised that the cuts of baby blue and butter I had were just 0.5 m long, and the requests were for people wishing to make large nappies which required a length of 0.53 m. D'oh! They were all happy to choose another colour that I did have on hand, but I did feel a bit stink about it :oops: At least now with a build up of kitty money we can buy an extra metre of PUL etc and slowly build up resources on hand.

I also cut out all the pattern (interfacing, PUL & microfleece pieces before the class. I probably spent 4 hours getting the kits ready. Not a huge issue for me this time around, but it is something to be considered for future classes.

Snap presses:
We had 3 snap presses at the class. As I expected this was a stage where people were waiting around, so it is definitely worth getting as many as we can to the class (I would say 3 would be minimum for a class of 8 - 2 snap presses would have been too few for the class size that we had). We had 3 pregnant women at the class - I discouraged these women from doing the snapping (I have pulled muscles in the past snapping and it was not fun in the later stages of pregnancy!), this was an easy option with the extra NN helpers.

That will do for now ;) Back later with more...

Oh - did anyone leave a scarf behind, Laura?
Leanne

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Thu May 28, 2009 12:53 pm

Shall try to wrap up the last of my evaluation now :oops:

Venue:
Fabulous venue - very well designed for sewing machines, great for DH's/kids to wait in the kids part of the Library, toilets close, etc. Because we were a NFP group the venue was free. If we were charging people for the learning side of things it would cost us $15/hour for the room. Venue not so available during the evenings (or at least if we started at 7pm the Library would be closing before we had a chance to finish & clean up). Venue availability quite good during the weekend. Venue needs to be vacuumed at the end - no problem, but needs to be remembered. Feedback about the venue was all very positive.

Pace/Timing/Structure:
As touched on earlier, people were invited to arrive early - though only one person did, the rest arrived on 1pm, or a little later. I did allow for this in the timeline.

We generally did stick to the general timeline - by 1.30 everyone was snapped and it was onto sewing together. Instead of stopping everyone to demonstrate the next step it seemed to work well (given the number of us to hep) to show each person each step individually/in pairs.

Come 2.50, most people were finishing off the wing snaps. Two people were going to redo/finish their back elastic at home (I will email them this weekend and see how they have gotten on with this). One person had left earlier on. Everyone was gone by 3.10, we were easily vacuummed & cleared away and swiped out by 3.30pm (thanks to the helpers for their very efficient tidying up/collapsing tables/vacuuming/clearing the tea & coffee, etc.

So, 2 hours would be adequate with the PUL & microfleece already cut out. More snap presses would have sped up the process a little too.

Afternoon tea:
Few people stopped to have a coffee (only 6 out of 17 of us), though when Kaz passed around the biscuits they were well received. Generally the feedback was that it was appreciated but not essential.

Though I'm still waiting for some forms/emails, everyone was very pleased with the class & the nappy they took home with them. There has been an interest in related classes in babywearing (making & using), sewing clothes & nappy bags, etc. I've been pondering about this - will start up another thread...

I have about half a dozen names of people keen to do a class but were unable to attend this one.

Thoughts? Comments?
Leanne

Janie
TNN nerd

Post by Janie » Thu May 28, 2009 1:00 pm

Given that there is a cafe at the library, is there any need for refreshments at all? The cafe might be quite happy to lend a caraffe and some glasses if asked nicely.

But it sounds like a great event, well done :D

fnk
TNN nerd

Post by fnk » Thu May 28, 2009 2:30 pm

Well done guys - sounds like you did brilliantly :smt041 :smt041
Lucy 12/4/05 & Tristan 10/6/07

Return to “Archived - Real Nappy Week 2009”