Christchurch - DIY focus - Class THIS Sunday! update p3

Goldilocks
TNN nerd

Post by Goldilocks » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:32 am

I'm thinking from the money side of things what about just offering the kit at the $14, $1 for tea/coffee and then maybe say to everyone to bring a pack of bikkies?..then it's only $15 which sounds like a good number..hmmmm

Definately would say no kiddies of running around age..it's too hard for people to concentrate on what they are doing and get a nappy finished!We won't be making the nappy for them while they are running around after the kids..They need to know that they need their hands free to make the nappy. Of course wee babies needing breastfeeding etc is different but I think it is a good idea having a support person to help with nappy changing holding the wee ones.

Um...for the expo I will bring a few naps in different stages of completion, and some scraps to show how to do elastic/snapping etc on..Also will bring some fabric scraps for people to have a feel lookie at..I have pul/pul film/microfibre/microfleece/suedcloth/hemp/bambo/bambo velour/etc will make it look all pretty and write up what the fabrics are used for etc

Do we need my snap press for the expo? Just let me know :D

Please let me know if you need me to do anything to help on the diy side of things leanne! :D
~Carla~

Proud mummy to 3 boys..
kayd 23/6/02
Kyan 11/9/06
Rafferty 6/5/10
Life is crazy!

<---My 3 gorgeous boys!

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:02 pm

Right, update from me;

* We will start with a pilot class on the Sunday afternoon. We will take 10 bookings - once it is filled up we will take email addresses and arrange for more classes as required. Being a pilot class we can get a better feel for timing/pace, size of group, etc.

* A $5 non-refundable deposit is required for the booking. The remaining $5 when they turn up for the class (or they can pay the whole $10 when signing up).

* We will make up the kits ourselves, rather than buying premade ones from Bumbles. I should be able to make up kits for around $6, so in the worse-case scenario that someone turns up without the extra money it's no biggy and we don't have to send them away KWIM? It also gives me flexibility to make a slightly larger cut for larger nappies (my large nappy doesn't fit a standard nappy cut), off-set by cuts for a small nappy.

* Participants can choose from butter, baby blue and seaspray for their PUL colours (and state on the sign up sheet). Microfleece will be white. Snaps will be white. They will be shown how to make a velcro pocket but their nappy will be snaps.

* We will have a shared afternoon tea. ;)

* No children. Babies younger than say 3 months ok (with the understanding that they may miss info if they need to tend to their baby). Keeping in mind the class is only 2 hours - most babies could be worked around a 2 hour time frame. (here's hoping it's a nice day and Daddy/Gran can take baby for a walk ;)).

* Course charging as follows;
Pocket kit - PUL, microfleece, elastic, snaps $6
Afternoon tea - $2
Incidentals - spare sewing needles, photocopying pattern & instructions, etc $2
Total: $10

* Patterns - still to decide on what to do with patterns. I'd like to draw up my new patterns and use those as testers, but I'm not sure I'll have the time. Otherwise, I'll use one of the WW freebies on the DIY pages. Shall use the info gathered on the sign up sheet to decide what size(s) are needed.

* Excess materials - I am happy to "buy" the excess materials (i.e. where only 4 nappy cuts have been used from 1 m, I'll buy the other 2).

How does that look?

Shall draw up the booking/take home sheets later today. Just have to do a Kindy pick up ;)
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

Netty
TNN nerd

Post by Netty » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:45 pm

Dunners wrote:* Participants can choose from butter, baby blue and seaspray for their PUL colours (and state on the sign up sheet).

Don't forget to have pul samples of those 3 colours with the sign up sheet :D
Netty, Mum to:
Mr C (07/98), Mr S (07/00), Mr A (07/02) Mr R (10/04) Miss L (09/06)

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:07 pm

:lol: Yes, I have asked Paula if she could add samples of those colours to her box of goodies ;)

Also, being a pocket nappy, it will need something absorbent to be used - I'll be adding info to the take home sheets along the lines of acquiring a flat white nappy to fold up, or buy an insert from one of the Retailers. I have asked Paula if I could have some inserts on Appro to have at the class, though I'm not entirely sure I want to be responsible for stock & money that's not mine KWIM (and finding change for odd amounts etc). Still thinking that through. Have some fabrics here I could use up and it saves me listing the fabric on the Trading Post ;) Would rather work in round $5 for simplicity.

Shall do some more pondering ;)
Leanne
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

Claire
TNN oracle

Post by Claire » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:03 pm

That is all looking good I think
I can bring along a few different types of inserts to show about folding etc if that's helpful. A surprising amount of people have flats at home that they dont use as nappies :lol:

would it be good to make a date for putting together the kits? We could do it as a team? (although I am happy to do that myself in front of the telly :D )

I am inclined to think the no babes over 3 months is a little strict. Most people wont bring a baby unless they feel they have to and if we have a few helpers around we can help out mums by taking a bub for a walk etc.. (I love a bit of baby holding :lol: ).... just dont want a single mum to miss out because she doesnt have care iykwim

The pricing looks great to me - I think if we carry on with this we may want to pay you (in token) for your time.. but this is a good start eh!

Do we want people to bring sissors??? tailors chalk? what other incidentals?

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:10 pm

Thanks Claire - love the feedback.

I'm glad to hear that you think I'm being too strict about the babies - hence why I really need feedback about these issues. I didn't want to assume that helpers would be happy to help out with such things KWIM?

Scissors & a pen are on the list of things for people to bring (I also have a few spare pairs which I'll bring).

No stress about the kits yet - have 3 weeks from the Expo to the class. Will set a date this time next week. Would be a great excuse to get together ;)

:)
Leanne

Kaz
TNN guru

Post by Kaz » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:48 pm

If you don't want the inconvenience of selling inserts you could always emphasise the need for an insert (some people are a little slow :wink: ) and that they can use flats or purchase inserts or fabric to make them from (insert list of retailers)

I think it needs to be clear that it would be of benefit for people to leave children at home especially movers. But I do understand that it is very difficult for some people to find childcare. Is there some way we could somehow accomodate them, if the need arrises? Maybe have a smaller or shorter sewing sessions x2 and have a creche running on a different date (only if there is a need).

Looks like it is under control, and there are a few weeks until that date anyway :D

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:43 pm

Hanging over from my previous life of being a Trainer, I feel the need to do a feedback form after the class. Things I am thinking would be useful to know are;

* venue accessibility (did they have to travel far?)
* day/time suitability
* length of course
* difficulty of course (expected skills)
* what they think of the value for what they paid to come, and what they would be willing to pay for such a course
* next step? (do they feel confident to head home and make more? can they apply that info to make a fitted? etc)
* would they recommend the course to others? (of course now they can teach them ;))
* other related courses that they would be interested in taking (if it was a series of classes).

What else do you think would be worth asking? (keeping in mind I don't want to make the form too long, but I do want to gather useful info and I'm guaranteed to have overlooked some).

I'm keen to gather this type of info, as if it appears to be a need (like I think there is ;), I will go and hassle Euan at Community Classes and see if I can push for a bit of Community funding for a course that would cover things including making nappies (I'm thinking along the lines of "Babies on a budget" - making nappies, making some homemade toys, possibly basic clothes, making baby food, baby wearing, etc. When I approached Euan last year they didn't feel the nappies alone was enough for a course, but he was more interested when I asked about something a bit more broad to do with babies/young children).
Leanne

gabes
TNN nerd

Post by gabes » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:13 pm

I *really* like the idea of babies on a budget course. Alot of that stuff jumps out as 'eco/natural' as well which might be another slant for advertising. I'd be quite keen to help out with that

End of session survey looks fine. The playcentre ones I have been doing lately are open ended " I am going to..../ I learnt...." and i HATE them. I never know what they want to know about. Like your specific questions.

Claire
TNN oracle

Post by Claire » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:23 pm

ditto to everything Gabes said.
A 'babies on a budget' class theme is a fabulous idea... will be helpful to get a foot in the door of the continuing ed organisations (talk about gap in the market there).... it is something I think we should really expore more as TNN as a whole ha!

Goldilocks
TNN nerd

Post by Goldilocks » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:47 am

Babies on a budget is such a fantastic idea Leanne!! :D

and Wow who wouldn't want to make a cloth nappy for only $10!!I think that will definately get people that maybe aren't so well off having a go :D
~Carla~

Proud mummy to 3 boys..
kayd 23/6/02
Kyan 11/9/06
Rafferty 6/5/10
Life is crazy!

<---My 3 gorgeous boys!

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:45 am

Booking is confirmed! Yay!

Class booking forms etc typed up & emailed to DH to print for me 8-)

Please remind me to take my vacuum cleaner to clean up afterwards. Their cleaners only come weeknights.

Also, I've been asked to go in for an orientation of the area (keys etc). Anyone else want to come with me (happy to go by myself, but thought I'd check ;)). Has to be between 9 & 5 weekdays.

:)
Leanne

cj
TNN guru

Post by cj » Fri May 15, 2009 12:57 pm

Sorry Leanne, DH has just booked his road trip to bring our new car back from Auckland and won't be around that weekend, so I won't be able to make it as the kids will be far too distracting (well N will, J would be happy sitting watching). Sorry :cry:
You know who I am! Mum to DS1(7), DS2(6), DD(6), DS3(5).

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Fri May 15, 2009 6:49 pm

Thanks for the heads up cj. I'm still working on the finer details - class just a week away (and I need to ring for an orientation - completely forgot today - someone remind me next week!)

Just 3 places left...
Leanne

hannah
TNN guru

Post by hannah » Fri May 15, 2009 10:46 pm

I'll be able to help. Just direct me ;) what's still needed?
Hannah, mama of M 15yrs ♥ , L 13yrs ♥ and A 3yrs ♥
2 teens, 1 preschooler-eeek!

http://www.locket.co.nz

Return to “Archived - Real Nappy Week 2009”