Christchurch - DIY focus - Class THIS Sunday! update p3

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Mon May 18, 2009 7:43 pm

Right, pulling the last few thoughts together.

We have 8 confirmed ladies, though one is due next week so may not make it (I told her to bring/send her MIL so her MIL can do the sewing should she not be in the right space to).

Am sorting out the kits in the next few days - thanks Paula for going to the trouble of cutting seaspray just for us ;) (that's a very popular colour - 2 wanted baby blue, one for butter - I'll use my stash for those) & Kaz for being courier.

I have orientation of the Learning Centre facilities tomorrow morning.

Now, here are my requests;

Who is willing/able to come to help on the day? (this Sunday, 1-3 ish). No sewing experience required.

Who can bring/lend a snap press? (I am keen to get my hands on as many as I can as that is a slow part of making a nappy)

Carla, can we borrow your cool nappy materials banner, please?

If you are coming, feel free to bring any pimped up nappies that you have - embroidery, applique, hand painting, ribbons/laces/buttons etc.

That's it for now on my checklist. Will be back with another progress report later in the week :)
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

macca
TNN guru

Post by macca » Mon May 18, 2009 7:48 pm

Would love to help - but alas I think i will be otherwise engaged :D
Melissa
Mum to Jack - born November 06 and Charlie - born May 09.
My blog http://maccafamily.blogspot.com

Claire
TNN oracle

Post by Claire » Mon May 18, 2009 8:05 pm

Can come
Can bring snap press

What else do you want me to do? ... boss away!

Kaz
TNN guru

Post by Kaz » Tue May 19, 2009 9:20 am

Can bring stuff, planning on being there too :D

Goldilocks
TNN nerd

Post by Goldilocks » Tue May 19, 2009 9:25 am

I really want to come and help this sunday!Have been looking forward to it! :D At the mo I have a terrible headcold..but surely I will be all well and rearing to go by sunday!!! :crossfingers:

Who is willing/able to come to help on the day? Me!

Who can bring/lend a snap press? (I am keen to get my hands on as many as I can as that is a slow part of making a nappy) I will bring mine and I'm sure Hannah can bring hers too! :D

Carla, can we borrow your cool nappy materials banner, please? Of course!

If you are coming, feel free to bring any pimped up nappies that you have - embroidery, applique, hand painting, ribbons/laces/buttons etc. I'm sure I can bring along a few cute ones :wink:

So Leanne do we need any extra sewing machines? Will we need any of our own nappies to demonstrate on?Umm..Can't think with my blocked up head! :roll: :D
~Carla~

Proud mummy to 3 boys..
kayd 23/6/02
Kyan 11/9/06
Rafferty 6/5/10
Life is crazy!

<---My 3 gorgeous boys!

Laura
TNN guru

Post by Laura » Tue May 19, 2009 9:32 am

im willing to help :)
and have a snap press i can bring

we could have a table if anyone wants to sell their unwanted nappy making fabrics??
The reason I am the person I have become!
Our journey from IVF to Freya http://babybuilding.wordpress.com

hannah
TNN guru

Post by hannah » Tue May 19, 2009 11:10 am

I'm planning on coming. Shall have Arlo strapped on. Will bring my snap press. :)
Hannah, mama of M 15yrs ♥ , L 13yrs ♥ and A 3yrs ♥
2 teens, 1 preschooler-eeek!

http://www.locket.co.nz

rootoo
TNN guru

Post by rootoo » Tue May 19, 2009 3:01 pm

I don't think I'll be able to make it :( I really wanted to but we have way too much happening this weekend.
I have a snap press though, if you need an extra one and someone could pick it up and bring it back (in Shirley)? Probably too much effort, but its here if you need it :)
Rachel
Mama to Josh 6/10/08 and Ollie 25/5/11

http://www.facebook.com/featherbrushyarns

Emma
TNN guru

Post by Emma » Tue May 19, 2009 3:26 pm

Unfortunately I can't make it, but my snap press can if you need it. Happy to drop it off to someone (Kaz at Bumbles?) just let me know.
Emma
Mum to 5 lovely children

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Tue May 19, 2009 9:49 pm

I think we'll be ok for snap presses Roo & Poppy. Thanks for all the offers - I promise to come back tomorrow.

I've been thinking tonight & I need some feedback because I can't decide :oops: Being a pilot class I'm not sure about pace. The class is officially from 1-3, but I have booked it until 3.30 (allowing for clean up time).

When I've been part of "sewing afternoons" in the past it's the tracing, cutting and snapping that takes a huge amount of time. I also know from experience that I have to allow for all sorts of hiccups - like sewing machines that don't want to sew :evil: (eh Claire), different abilities of those coming, various stops & starts, afternoon tea, and of course that it always takes longer when you're teaching someone. The last thing I want is for us to be rushing through doing the back elastic at 2.45pm and getting flustered because it's 3pm and they don't have the wing snaps on and their DH waiting in the car with a screaming baby etc! So, despite having a bit of spare time up our sleeve, I don't want to use that time, I think it's important to officially finish the class at 3pm.

So, I have been thinking a possibly workable option is to get them to leave the tummy open at the beginning, and come back to do snaps later when they have spare time (whether it be to do 3 snaps at one step while others catch up, or all snaps at the end). The advantage of course being that when they are next making nappies they know how to prepare them for this and then only need to visit the snap press person once to do both tummy & wings KWIM?

Thoughts? Useful or confusing? Am I just over-thinking the time issue? (sure we can whip them up pretty quickly, but how many have we made now ;))
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

gabes
TNN nerd

Post by gabes » Wed May 20, 2009 7:24 am

I can't help out this time as we have a playcentre thing . I also dont sew at all so I'm not sure how much help I would be anyway :D But if there is anything you need help with this week beforehand I am happy to help with whatever I can

It sounds great Leanne, thanks for all your hard work on this

Amethyst
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Amethyst » Wed May 20, 2009 11:58 am

It's such a short class I would skip afternoon tea TBH. It does sound like a good idea to do the snaps later.
Pooh-Bah, Lord High everything else :roll:
Mamma to 3 wee product testers :king: 12 :king: 10 :queen: 8

Claire
TNN oracle

Post by Claire » Wed May 20, 2009 12:37 pm

I put my snaps on very last thing Leanne and I never bother to leave the tummy open. As long as I mark on the snap positions first and sew in a reinforcing strip I have never had a problem with it.

agree with Paula.. dont really need afternoon tea imo although if we finish a bit early we could have a cuppa and chat??

Netty
TNN nerd

Post by Netty » Wed May 20, 2009 1:35 pm

You will have to really keep things moving to get much at all done in 2 hours. Hope it goes well for you :)
Netty, Mum to:
Mr C (07/98), Mr S (07/00), Mr A (07/02) Mr R (10/04) Miss L (09/06)

Emma
TNN guru

Post by Emma » Wed May 20, 2009 1:39 pm

Could you have the pul and fleece pre cut? I know someone has to find time to do it, but it would save heaps of time in the class and you could just demo/explain how to do it. I would rather learn how to snap if it were me, than spend half the class time faffing around cutting.
Emma
Mum to 5 lovely children

Return to “Archived - Real Nappy Week 2009”