Auckland Expo debrief

rebeccal
TNN nerd

Auckland Expo debrief

Post by rebeccal » Sat May 02, 2009 8:33 pm

In here everyone with your ideas about what worked and what didn't about the Auckland Expo.

I'll kick it off with the comments/suggestions to improve from the feedback forms:

Ads in local papers
Bigger signs along the road
More promotion
Sign in front of Valentines
Signage
Promotion in baby magazines prior

And I won't put Lisa's comment!!!

shellbell
TNN convert

Post by shellbell » Sat May 02, 2009 8:39 pm

Oh go on. Put her comment.
mum to 2 boys, 8 and 4 and my little girl 2 1/2.
www.ezpzbaby.co.nz

CarlaK
TNN guru

Post by CarlaK » Sat May 02, 2009 8:45 pm

id like to know too ;)

i have a few comments, but will write tomorrow when im not so sore and shattered
Carla, Mum of Kaylee - 8, Olivia - 6, Benjamin - 3

Just keep swimming ;)

rebeccal
TNN nerd

Post by rebeccal » Sat May 02, 2009 9:10 pm

OK, I've just finished the 'analysis' of the entries.

We had 60 entries into the prize draw, and as far as I know everyone who came through that door entered the draw.

The top suburbs people came from were Mt Eden (5), Pt Chev (4) Hobsonville (3) and Glenfield (3). Of the rest, my quick look through says mainly central (ie close to the venue), west, or shore.

Attendees were split evenly between pregnant and not pregnant
(29 of each). 21 had none currently in nappies (first time mum), 33 had one currently in nappies, and 4 had 2 currently in nappies.

Current cloth nappy usage status was 29 currently using, 23 planning to use, and 5 considering using (hopefully we managed to change them from considering to planning!)

How they heard about the Expo:
13 from the TNN forum (including one who was because she was special, you know who you are :wink: )
13 from friends or family members (shows how important networking is)
10 from the Internet (non specific)
6 from the Oh Baby forum (note that most of these were pregnant, so good to note for future that this is where mums to be seem to hang out)
4 from the Nappy Network website
3 from Antenatal class
2 from their coffee group
2 by email
2 from the Cloth Nappy Education Centre
1 from Facebook
1 from Google
1 from Midwife
1 from Mothers Instinct's website
1 from Popit's website

Forum status (aka were we just reaching our own members) 41 were not members of TNN forum and 18 were members.

Lisa's comment was "Someone else should do it"

aidanasher
TNN nerd

Post by aidanasher » Sat May 02, 2009 9:16 pm

DH also mentioned about about the sign, that he didn't see any (or being male, he could be just blind )

would be great to have a huge roll out sign outside where ppl can read by when driving pass

beccahv
TNN guru

Post by beccahv » Sat May 02, 2009 9:18 pm

Just from an outsiders perspective ..........the weather and the traffic were HIDEOUS today. I did a round of errands and was planning on dropping by on the way home.....took me easily twice as long as normal, and I spent a lot of time being diverted through road blocks and being stuck in traffic. So please don't take it personally if it wasn't as well attended as hoped....I suspect like me, a lot of people just gave up :bighug:
Bec - Lucky Mama to Luca (July 2005) & Alexander (May 2008) :-)

aidanasher
TNN nerd

Post by aidanasher » Sat May 02, 2009 9:22 pm

weather took a big part. which is out of hands unfortunatelly
a friend was gonna come but didn't which i think it's a lot to do with the weather

karmiec
TNN oracle

Post by karmiec » Sat May 02, 2009 10:10 pm

Yep if I hadn't been on the roster today I would have stayed home too!

My "pointers"

Book venue as early as possible, then you can get posters/website/advertising started. Easier to update something we have started than to distribute things so late in the piece.

Website. Specific TNN email addy for RNW enquiries and outgoing emails. I'm SICK of signing up my personal email to various "event listing" websites.

Free advertising requires lots of time and co-ordination. For example: I had assumed that people contacting newspaperw had asked for free events listing - it comes down to knowing what to ask for... and I am still learning myself!

That in mind we need at least three months led up for an Auckland wide expo type event. In terms of organisers sanity and getting lisitings in places like tots to teens and littlies...

Last year we focused on getting more contact with MW (as in phoning and following up with ones who's email I couldn't easily get), this year I focused on trying to get it on the radio which didn't work at all as far as I can tell :? I don't know if it was listed and just the weather didn't suit or if it was the short lead time that ours didn't make it to air.

Taking retailer bookings earlier, so we can spend $$ ... in the end we were waiting till the last minute to do things like photoopying.

We were running on a shoestring. Venue costs sucked up 3/4 of what we received from retailers for table hire.

I'm really leaning towards setting our own date. We got the "offical" dates for RNW so late in the piece that we didn't have time to get the organisers together for a meeting even once. If we set our own date we can plan around OUR public holidays. And we don't get a lot of ummm benefit from being associated to the international real nappy movement (eg: the international website was hard to find, we in akl didnt use the international logo because we were pushing hte TNN brand)

I thought the facebook group would work a bit better. I think there were only two or three people who shared the event before friday night. People who were invited weren't passing it on (although that might be technical difficulties rather than lack of care!!). I expected most TNNers invited would be able to invite one or two prospects (who might pass it on to someone else)

I would love to budget for advertising of RNW... say a weeks advertising on Google ads, or facebook... something like " Real Nappy Week 2010 - Click here for events near you" or specific "Auckland Real Nappy Expo"

My suggested timeline would be

3 months out, book venue; email bookig forms to all retailers; organise for posters to be drafted: publish basic times/dates/places and contact details on website. Contact monthly magazines for lisitngs (consider coffee break flyer, littlies mag, treasures, parents inc, tots to teens).

2months out:
close bookings / collect $$. Have posters printed and distributed. Start sending PR material to community groups etc (playgroups, pc, individual plunkets, antenatal classes, midwives etc...

Last month:
producing flyers/entry forms etc for the day, volunteers roster, final press release. Would be good to do some sort of demonstration (not protest as such but like presentation of an award or something) at the begining of the week so we could use the publicity to get into the papers.
Lisa

karmiec
TNN oracle

Post by karmiec » Sat May 02, 2009 10:19 pm

ETA : today was fun
IMO it was like a lovely nappacino with lots of products to fondle and over the morning (mostly) we had about 40-50 new people come and have a looksie.

That was fantastic!! If the weather had been better, or if we had planned it as a more casual event we would have been really happy with the outcome.
Lisa

amcham
TNN nerd

Post by amcham » Sat May 02, 2009 11:18 pm

Sounds like you guys have similar ideas for next year as we do in Welly :)

I agree having an NZ RNW might be easier in terms of organisation as we too felt we didn't have enough time to get the expo details out there and therefore our expo was not as well attended as it could (should) have been.
Amie
Mum to 3 boys

Faraway
TNN nerd

Post by Faraway » Sun May 03, 2009 8:30 am

As a visitor...

I liked the table in the entrance, thought it was a great way to greet people. I was with a pregnant friend and thought it was good being directed to the TNN demo kit to view the different types of nappies before being 'baffled' at retailers.

Thought the kids/feeding area was good to have and also being able to purchase hot chocolate (great on such a miserable day).

It would be neat if there was some way to be able to pay by eftpos as not knowing Pt Chev that well I couldn't find a bank and *had* to buy choc at Countdown to get cash out :roll: :lol: Not sure if this is possible though.

I saw one sign coming along the main rd but only really knew it was happening from being on here (friend heard about it from me). Can appreciate the difficulties publicising the event...

It was nice to meet a few more TNNrs in real life :D
Kathryn
Mum to Master K 4/07 and Miss A 2/09

CarlaK
TNN guru

Post by CarlaK » Sun May 03, 2009 8:57 am

the road signs i think were big enough, take into consideration that they had to fit in a car and one person put them up on her own. so that had to be manageable. however due to time constraints and cost, 4 is all that were able to be made up. i agree that more would be beneficial. however what would of been more beneficial would of been footpath signs directing people where to go once parked in the carpark. so many people got lost, and nearly gave up because it was raining and them and their babies were getting wet.

Date i agree, it doesnt work. its GST and TAX time, businesses are stressed and are trying hard to catch up from the school holidays just finished. got to be careful though because October is P&C show so thats out too.

from *MY* DIY perspective, it would be great to have business cards from all NZ businesses that sell products to make your own nappies, we had greenbeans products and miss Sarah herself which was fabulous, but people were asking about prints etcetc so somthing to organise in advance for next year would be business cards from Greenbeans (more!), Wigglebums, Little buttons, Bumbles, Little Cloth Kiwis. and to have an updated sample book, which i can do no probs at all. also some TNN cards or brochures would of been extremely handy.

having DIY kits at our table to direct people to so that they could sew their own, would of been fabulous. with all the free patterns printed and in a folder so they could choose one to suit. a few colours of PUL to choose from and white Mf and H&L. we did direct them to the kits on the EZPZ stand. so im unsure of how many were sold there.

i LOVED doing the DIY, had so much fun

from the people i talked to both on the DIY stand and at the Itti Bitti stand. they were completely overwhelmed by the amount of nappies and choices at the middle table. im not sure how to combat that, im just sharing the views from the newbie public.

i do have a few more things to say however as this isnt in restricted, i wont, but feel free to PM me and i will say my opinion on the retailers.
Carla, Mum of Kaylee - 8, Olivia - 6, Benjamin - 3

Just keep swimming ;)

weegee
TNN nerd

Post by weegee » Sun May 03, 2009 11:16 am

CarlaS wrote:from the people i talked to both on the DIY stand and at the Itti Bitti stand. they were completely overwhelmed by the amount of nappies and choices at the middle table. im not sure how to combat that, im just sharing the views from the newbie public.

I totally agree - even while I was at the demo table they were saying how overwhelmed they were and looked totally baffled. One of them said to me "I just want to be told, here you go, this is the best one, use these!"

I was thinking about this last night and while the nappies were roughly sorted into types perhaps they needed to be more obviously divided up into the systems, maybe with little signs. In fact I've been turning this over in my head so I'm going to start on the signs now while it's fresh :)

So maybe there could be a logical progression around the table, maybe roughly the same as the brochure, so they see each type of system with a list of pros and cons for each, and a nappy bucket and maybe a wetbag with a little info board/sign about washing (no soaking etc). Sounds like a lot of work to organise but once it's done it's done iygwim.

One of the OHbaby! cloth newbies won a runner up prize which worked out well, they have posted about it in the RNW 09 thread I started over there, hopefully their ittis will work well for them and they'll recruit a few more :)
Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010

karmiec
TNN oracle

Post by karmiec » Sun May 03, 2009 4:36 pm

Signage would be a good idea for the demo table. I think Laminated too.

We spend a bit of time unpacking to try and get good examples of each type but I think Audrey was really looking forward to sorting through all the kits and streamlining them.

At the start of the day I had prefolds to AIO's (most like flats to most like disposables) and would ask people what they wanted in a nappy (velcro or snaps, do they use a dryer etc)

Maybe thats where we need to have a demo table briefing ?
Lisa

karmiec
TNN oracle

Post by karmiec » Sun May 03, 2009 5:11 pm

CarlaS wrote:i do have a few more things to say however as this isnt in restricted, i wont, but feel free to PM me and i will say my opinion on the retailers.

Pm me 8-) But I do want to say that I can't see us excluding any nappy retailers in the near future, but feedback is important.

I know what you mean, Julie did a fab job getting the signs done, it was a good number but its one of thoes things you could have two dozen and still want more. The venue as a whole doesn't have good street frontage and with the weather we were being more careful of traffic than looking for signage IYKWIM?

What was I thinking today? Umm... yes on the retailer front DH and I keep discussing would a sustainable parenting fair be better attended than a nappy expo? (so organic food / clothing, second hand kids gear etc. So not a nappy week even necessarily.
Lisa

Return to “Archived - Real Nappy Week 2009”