Chch debrief

gabes
TNN nerd

Post by gabes » Mon May 04, 2009 6:08 pm

Dunners wrote:
Dunners wrote:Preloved nappies
$25 made for TNN ($15 commission, $10 for a nappy).

I have the float (my money) and the $25 made for TNN.

Do you want the $25 for your DIY thingy? I can chase up getting an invoice for $ back from TNN

Kaz
TNN guru

Post by Kaz » Mon May 04, 2009 6:15 pm

:wink: We weren't to know the DIY wasn't going to make much noise :smt016 I thought you were actually going to make nappies. Plus I assumed/thought it had been decided DIY would be in a seperate room, next time DIY could be in the same area depending on venue.

It might be beneficial for the venue to be checked to see if it suited our needs or had any pros/cons before booking.

I think it would be easier for Gabes to be reimbursed from the left over money since she would need to chase up a receipt. Is that OK with everyone?

Don't get too excited Leanne :D I think we need to assess whether we want to launch into something and what scale.

kryddle
TNN nerd

Post by kryddle » Mon May 04, 2009 6:46 pm

I think the baby fair is a good idea but will require alot of organising... I wont be in chch next year so not much help there (but I will come look :wink: )

I felt it was good talking to people about the different types of nappies and how they work. Most people asked questions, and that was good (the chinese laundry lady has me :smt044 still tho). A lot of people were keen to trial a lot of different kinds so was good to have the hire kit there (not sure how many booked one tho?). I also agree there was not alot of retailers there, I as expecting alot more.

I think we had around 30 couples/families come through, most of those seemed very keen to use cloth (I remember only one couple who didnt stop and listen to our demo but did go into the DIY room)
Krystle
Mum to Rylan 22/2/08 and
:angel: Zariah 12/4/13 fly free my beautiful girl

Claire
TNN oracle

Post by Claire » Mon May 04, 2009 7:04 pm

Laura - Thank you! - I think you did a great job getting the hall ready (and thanks to your Mum :D )
Thank you to Kaz and Leanne and all the other organisers for getting things off the ground... great work!!!

Whatever form this takes in the future its probably a good idea to have a set committee and set job rolls. A huge thread like this is not only hard to follow but is also quite intimidating .. you dont want to step on toes, or do something 'wrong'. Set rolls could mean that whoever is in charge of that area can start when they are ready, delegate as they need and know exactly what they are taking on - less stress for everyone!

fnk
TNN nerd

Post by fnk » Mon May 04, 2009 7:28 pm

I wasn't there since struck down with illness but thought hey why not join in the debriefing. :D
Having read your comments I was more going to comment on the past. The most successful event I think was in 2006 in terms of the most people through the door.
Why was it successful?
- we did have a number of meetings to organise it early on,
location - high foot traffic with people already coming to the library.
It was pouring with rain - so loads of people with small kids came to the library.
Was this our first expo possibly?? so we were quite keen and enthusiastic ;)
There were a large number of retailers present.

To me reading your comments it is interesting to hear there were few retailers - does that mean retailers do not find these events beneficial for sales??
If the whole thing is to promote MCNs and yet the very retailers of these events don't find it beneficial then that seems very weird to me.
I agree with Gabes next year we need to do something different. I feel there are loads of options of cloth nappies out there in CHCH we are lucky to the likes of Bumbles and I notice baby city have baby cheeks or some brand of cloth nappies. We have kits (not sure if they are still used though) given to antenatal classes, we have had a lot of cloth nappy publicity over the past few years - so we need a new approach i think.
I like the idea of a free baby fair but perhaps we could do it more along the eco thing - wasn't there an eco show that didn't go ahead a few years ago - what if we did something smaller with the potential to grow but covering more eco stuff - as well as nappies, slings etc, do growing your own plants etc etc.
I think we would need a team to organise it and start early.
That is a lot of opinion for someone who didn't make it eh :D Sorry I didn't volunteer earlier in the year but i thought i was going to be tied up with our shop :roll:
Lucy 12/4/05 & Tristan 10/6/07

gabes
TNN nerd

Post by gabes » Mon May 04, 2009 7:59 pm

kryddle wrote: A lot of people were keen to trial a lot of different kinds so was good to have the hire kit there (not sure how many booked one tho?).

2 of the pregnant Mums had already booked a kit so it was nice to meet them and they could have a look at what they were getting and I answered a few questions etc.

Quite a few were interested but are due really soon and I am fully booked until mid July so couldnt help those people anyway. I directed them to the tnn homepage where the other kits are listed

Quite a few people took fliers/posters about the kits. So, no actual bookings but I did say just to email me if they were interested. I think it was really good to have the kit there too and would definitely do that again - just getting the word out there. Its also another opportunity to talk about the types and pros/cons of each system etc.

fnk
TNN nerd

Post by fnk » Mon May 04, 2009 9:22 pm

BTW a couple DH told about it, went and said they really liked the friendly, casual non corporaty atmosphere :smt023

Amethyst
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Amethyst » Tue May 05, 2009 9:13 am

fnk wrote:To me reading your comments it is interesting to hear there were few retailers - does that mean retailers do not find these events beneficial for sales??

Sales wise from purely a retailers POV, it's a complete and utter waste of time. I don't do it to make sales, more to help TNN out with numbers :)
I sold one thing, didn't cover the cost of the table or travel. Carolyn sold bugger all, couldn't see the Honeychild table enough to know sales, and I didn't see Louisa sell anything at all.
Definately need to change things for next year, either go back to somewhere people already are (eg the library), or make it a big shindig fair kinda thing.
:2cents: :hide:
Pooh-Bah, Lord High everything else :roll:
Mamma to 3 wee product testers :king: 12 :king: 10 :queen: 8

Janie
TNN nerd

Post by Janie » Tue May 05, 2009 9:35 am

I went to the RNW expo in 2007 at the Upper Riccarton Library (I think?).

This was before I knew anything about coth nappies, but was pg wih DS and was interested in trying some cloth.

My memories was that it was buzzing, heaps of people and stalls and people to talk to.

I agree that the library would be a good venue for next year, there are always people with kids there, and it is easy to find and advertise, and people are more likely (I think) to go to somewhere familiar than to a random place.

fnk
TNN nerd

Post by fnk » Tue May 05, 2009 10:43 am

navarri wrote:Sales wise from purely a retailers POV, it's a complete and utter waste of time. I don't do it to make sales, more to help TNN out with numbers :)
I sold one thing, didn't cover the cost of the table or travel. Carolyn sold bugger all, couldn't see the Honeychild table enough to know sales, and I didn't see Louisa sell anything at all.

So you don't find the expos have in anyway in the year following an event increased your sales or people to your shop or website? So that basically implies they are useless at promoting cloth doesn't it? i would not expect you to make many sales there but I thought the being there would lead to people coming to you in future - is this not the case?

Amethyst
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Amethyst » Tue May 05, 2009 10:49 am

fnk wrote:
navarri wrote:Sales wise from purely a retailers POV, it's a complete and utter waste of time. I don't do it to make sales, more to help TNN out with numbers :)

So you don't find the expos have in anyway in the year following an event increased your sales or people to your shop or website? So that basically implies they are useless at promoting cloth doesn't it? i would not expect you to make many sales there but I thought the being there would lead to people coming to you in future - is this not the case?
I would expect possibly 25% of people to come back to the shop (I have a pretty good face recognition ;)), and I would expect maybe half of those to buy something (from previous experience). It's probably good in that it's seen to be neutral because there are a few different retailers there. Many options kinda thing :)
Pooh-Bah, Lord High everything else :roll:
Mamma to 3 wee product testers :king: 12 :king: 10 :queen: 8

gabes
TNN nerd

Post by gabes » Tue May 05, 2009 11:08 am

Janie wrote:I went to the RNW expo in 2007 at the Upper Riccarton Library (I think?).

This was before I knew anything about coth nappies, but was pg wih DS and was interested in trying some cloth.

My memories was that it was buzzing, heaps of people and stalls and people to talk to.

I agree that the library would be a good venue for next year, there are always people with kids there, and it is easy to find and advertise, and people are more likely (I think) to go to somewhere familiar than to a random place.

I remember it being really busy as well. We didnt have sales then, just samples sent from all round the country (is that right Kaz?) to show. Have we limited ourselves by having retail and therefore having to only have what is available locally? Is there not enough local retailers?

Paula I would have thought it would be worth your while from a "potential" sales pov? I guess thats impossible to measure though :?

I sold 2 things but both to friends (thank you!) so I dont know if that counts :lol: And in terms of the hirekit, no actual bookings and no emails yet however people only a little bit pregnant probably arent going to worry about booking a kit for awhile yet. Lots of fliers picked up.

I thought the preloved table was great and really fit well with the lowcost/DIY kind of theme, however did this impact on sales for our retailers? If they arent selling anything.....:(

I do wonder whether we are doing expos because we feel like we 'have to' and if there isnt anything else we could be doing that would be just as/more effective in promoting cloth.

I think I agree with teh comments that maybe cloth nappies are mainstream enough now people dont feel like they have to come to an 'event' to see them IRL. Would opening it up wider to include all those other things get more people in the door?
I do like the bigger and better fair/eco/parenting expo idea however I worry about the workload of this kind of event if we were organising it, we are all busy mums and theres not many of us, would be spreadign ourselves too thin? and having no budget to do any proper advertising that this kind of event would need to be a success. i do think it is good in principle but wonder about the logistics.

Are there other ways to promote cloth - getting TNN fliers out to every midwife practice in the city? trying to get the demo kit out to coffee mornings/antenatal groups, advertising of TNN/demo kits/hire kits etc.
Do we focus on classes etc this year instead?
I don't know what the answer is, just thinking out loud really.

fnk
TNN nerd

Post by fnk » Tue May 05, 2009 11:38 am

Yeah I am wondering whether instead of an expo at all - having a TNN stall at the plethora of baby markets there already. Plunket seems to run one each area of the city so would it be better over the coming year to have a few people from whatever the area currently holding a sale book a table and do the TNN stall - then we stick to what we are good at being passionate about cloth nappies ;) IF we did 5 -6 a year that would only be two people each time and hopefully different people depending on the area and we wouldn't have to worry about retailers at all.
We don't have to any advertising, organising events etc. To the public everywhere they go there will be cloth nappies being promoted ;) - they can't get away from 'em or plead ignorance :D

Claire
TNN oracle

Post by Claire » Tue May 05, 2009 12:05 pm

ITA Gabes and Fiona!

cj
TNN guru

Post by cj » Tue May 05, 2009 12:13 pm

fnk wrote:Yeah I am wondering whether instead of an expo at all - having a TNN stall at the plethora of baby markets there already. Plunket seems to run one each area of the city so would it be better over the coming year to have a few people from whatever the area currently holding a sale book a table and do the TNN stall - then we stick to what we are good at being passionate about cloth nappies ;) IF we did 5 -6 a year that would only be two people each time and hopefully different people depending on the area and we wouldn't have to worry about retailers at all.
We don't have to any advertising, organising events etc. To the public everywhere they go there will be cloth nappies being promoted ;) - they can't get away from 'em or plead ignorance :D

Haven't read all the thread 'cos I wasn't there, but I think that sounds like a really good idea.
That and some nappy making classes too run every few months if the first one goes well (which I'm sure it will Leanne :wink: ).
You know who I am! Mum to DS1(7), DS2(6), DD(6), DS3(5).

Return to “Archived - Real Nappy Week 2009”