Waldorf Doll sew-a-long

nova
TNN oracle

Re: Waldorf Doll sew-a-long

Post by nova » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:07 pm

miggs wrote:Id love a bamboletta doll for E but will have to get brave enough to make my own :lol: , bugger your group is on the other side of auckland id so be there especially for doing the head/face which is the hardest part aye, if you muck the body up a bit its covered by clothes but the head :twitch: .
hmm maybe we need to have another doll making workshop...?? :D they've done a couple of them, but only really advertised them around the school.. it's a whole day affair & quite easy to get a doll almost done (if not completed) with help & without kids! :lol:

one trick with the heads that we do is to make a ball out of cheap 100% wool carpet yarn, then wrapping it in fleece, then the stockinette, then skin... the yarn ball keeps the head nice & round 8-)
:star:

miggs
TNN nerd

Post by miggs » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:14 pm

nova wrote:
miggs wrote:Id love a bamboletta doll for E but will have to get brave enough to make my own :lol: , bugger your group is on the other side of auckland id so be there especially for doing the head/face which is the hardest part aye, if you muck the body up a bit its covered by clothes but the head :twitch: .
hmm maybe we need to have another doll making workshop...?? :D they've done a couple of them, but only really advertised them around the school.. it's a whole day affair & quite easy to get a doll almost done (if not completed) with help & without kids! :lol:

one trick with the heads that we do is to make a ball out of cheap 100% wool carpet yarn, then wrapping it in fleece, then the stockinette, then skin... the yarn ball keeps the head nice & round 8-)

Oh yes Please let me know if you do decide to run another workshop would be keen especially now that E has decided she only wants boobies in the morning/night ,though I need to get my supplies first :roll: , Great tip for the head ive got some nasty scratchy wool here that I was given will keep if for when I do the head then instead of giving to op shop.
Margaret Mum to-
Joshua 7
Zoe 5
Elizabeth 2

beccahv
TNN guru

Post by beccahv » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:50 am

Bumpity Bump :mrgreen:

For those of you who have completed dolls, what did you use for stuffing (both the head and the body) and how firmly did you stuff? I've made a head using roving but to get the right shape it's very firm (I find it hard to pull the thread around the head and get indentations) and I'm wondering if roving isn't really the best choice (it's what I had on hand)??
Bec - Lucky Mama to Luca (July 2005) & Alexander (May 2008) :-)

growingclothie
TNN oracle

Post by growingclothie » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:48 am

I see I never posted finished pics of my girl here

I just used standard teddy bear stuffing, yes the face is firm, I'm a little unhappy about the fact my one's neck is a bit wobbly - hard to make it strong when the head is quite heavy

I must get around to doing another one, I want to make one look younger than this one who looks quite mature
Bec

Home educating mum to precious blessings:
*MissW (stillborn Jan'04)
*MasterZ (11yrs old, born Jan'04)
*MasterH (7yrs old, born Sept'07)
*MissK (4yrs old, born Nov'10)
*MissF (2yrs old, born July'13)

Visit me on Ravelry http://www.ravelry.com/projects/SteppingInWater

growingclothie
TNN oracle

Post by growingclothie » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:50 am

...she's got a cute little pear shaped bottom too but I can't find any photos of it
Bec

nova
TNN oracle

Post by nova » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:03 pm

beccahv wrote:Bumpity Bump :mrgreen:

For those of you who have completed dolls, what did you use for stuffing (both the head and the body) and how firmly did you stuff? I've made a head using roving but to get the right shape it's very firm (I find it hard to pull the thread around the head and get indentations) and I'm wondering if roving isn't really the best choice (it's what I had on hand)??
Probably miles too late, but for future reference :lol: did you see my mention above about making a ball of yarn & then wrapping roving around that for the head? It helps it keep a nice round shape.. not entirely traditional, but not uncommon (and it's still wool, so neener neener) and yeah.. the heads are often hard enough to give someone a good clonk with ;) The limbs really do need to be pretty firm too, cos the fleece compacts over time & means it gets softer..

growingclothie wrote:I'm a little unhappy about the fact my one's neck is a bit wobbly - hard to make it strong when the head is quite heavy
the trick with the neck is to make the head have a sort of inner torso bit, like in this tutorial, even if you aren't doing the traditional waldorf head shaping. It means there is a continual 'pillar' of stuffing & fabric going from the head right down into the body :)

She's very sweet though! Go you!! \:D/
:star:

Claire
TNN oracle

Post by Claire » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:20 pm

:wave:
I realise that I'm about 4 years behind the ball on this one... but the thread came up when I was googling waldorf dolls :)
Anyone have any fabric or other supplies hanging around that they want to destash?

Kaz
TNN guru

Post by Kaz » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:35 pm

Me :D talk to me next week when I'm home. Have a few shades of fabric and a book.
You can never really take control of your life but you can control how you choose to live it.

Claire
TNN oracle

Post by Claire » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:26 pm

cool - thanks K. I'll msg ya

AmberLeah
TNN nerd

Post by AmberLeah » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:25 am

Claire Im keen to finally make my 2 that i have fabric for so would love to start a new thread & do a sew-a-long with you & anyone else thats keen!
Every Christmas Ive said Im going to make these dolls & havent as yet :(

Facebook: "Angel Inspired"

jobrush
TNN nerd

Post by jobrush » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:33 pm

I never ever got around to catching up with Kaz and making mine...and now that I'm working full time and busier I don't see that changing anytime soon! Especially when there is still so much to do around home and the garden... :hide:
Jo
Mum of:
Ethan (Nov 04)
Lucas (Oct 07)
Breanna (July 10)

growingclothie
TNN oracle

Post by growingclothie » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:46 am

The doll above was given to my eldest daughter, I'm planning another for my youngest's 2nd birthday in July
Bec

Claire
TNN oracle

Post by Claire » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:24 am

Cool. I won't be around to do any sewing till mid Jan but then I'm really keen. If anyone is keen to sell anything pm me cause I don't seem to get thread notifications any more

Lilly
TNN guru

Post by Lilly » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:48 pm

I also missed this the first time round, but I recently made one (a mermaid) for DD's 5th birthday. I really enjoyed making it and she loves it so I was really pleased with the whole process. Keen to do another one day.
Mummy to a gorgeous big boy and a darling wee girl

Return to “Monthly Craft focus”