March 2010 Craft Focus Ideas&Photos - Upcycling/ recycling

krisha
TNN oracle

Re: March 2010 Craft Focus Ideas&Photos - Upcycling/ recycling

Post by krisha » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:05 am

I have found a whole lot of my work skirts that I no longer wear (to work-y for home, not nice enough for special going out and slightly to small :oops: ) I am thinking of trying to convert them into pinifores or dresses for Charlotte... easy enough to do?? Anyone recommend a pattern?

I am kind of invisiging something like this... (but bigger, this was custom made for us when Charlotte was a tiny prem bubba)

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:17 pm

Yeah, I'd say that would be a nice project Krisha! Funny timing, I've just borrowed a book from the Library today, and there's one similar in there. The book is called "Baby Couture - Sew stylish fashions for infants & children" by Samantha McNesby. If your Library doesn't have a copy (or one similar) I could trace the pattern for you and send down? I'm not sure what is in Ottobre... Here's the database I start with http://www.evernote.com/pub/mermaids/Ottobre_Design Hmm, yes, I think there are a number of neat dresses that may appeal to you - have a look and see if any take your fancy - someone on here should have the mag to help you ;)

As for me, things are progressing nicely ;) Jeans cut up and pockets unpicked. Ties unpicked. Now to piece it all together and work out what shape skirt I want... And I've started unpicking something else ;) and have sourced some minky to go with it, so a semi-upcycling project is also happening on the side (it's something I was planning to make when I was pregnant with Will, but never got around to it :lol: ). And the above Baby Couture book had some pillowcase dresses in them - I have a couple of old ones I had planned to use for Em (a few years back, after making Em a couple I got bored with them :oops: ), so I may try to do something with them too. And I can't forget the old-trackies of DHs to turn into trackies for James...

:)
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

krisha
TNN oracle

Post by krisha » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:57 pm

WOW Leanne that website is fantastic!!! I have to admit cruising the ottobre website on a regular basis dreaming of all the things I may one day be able to make!!

I have jumped right in and cut a skirt up and without a pattern and sewed it up... lets just say I wish I had had a pattern, I have fished out a few more skirts and jeans that where destined for the charity bins and am going to go nuts! ;) I am now adding straps onto the dress/pinafore as I hadn't really given them much thought... :oops:

Funny you should talk about pillowcase dresses... I watched this earlier on you tube! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypqNfk__ ... re=related they look really easy!!

Also watched this one too.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNBmfHlWD6I

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:52 am

Sounds like you're on fire! Go girl! Look forward to seeing photos... (and yes pillowcase dresses are fun to make, though Em's a bit big now for a single pillowcase :lol: )
Leanne
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

krisha
TNN oracle

Post by krisha » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:38 am

I don't think there will be pics of this first one... :oops: :oops: it fits her... just! Thinking of cutting the top part off and just making it a skirt... I don't have a zipper foot, so kind of limited...

krisha
TNN oracle

Post by krisha » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:43 pm

Well here it is, just need to add snaps and i'm done... :oops: Bear in mind this is the first item of clothing I have sewn... EVER and it was without a pattern... I am quite pleased with it, hopefully it will "grow with her". I have snapped the straps on as cross over at the back but when she gets bigger/taller I hope that they will just go straight back instead. Its more of a dress than a pinafore.

I'm kicking myself because I didn't take a before photo of the skirt!!! It was one of my skirts - a glassons one, it had the print down the front of the skirt, it is really nice soft denim...

Image Image

excuse the blury - she wouldn't stand still!!

AbbeHG
TNN nerd

Post by AbbeHG » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:41 pm

jhcsmum wrote:I done this last month, took DD's Billabong sweater that was in the Op Shop bag

:smt041 well done.
Abbe
I love sewing and have plenty of material witnesses. ~Author Unknown

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:39 pm

Fab upcycling ladies!

I'm slowly getting through my upcycling projects.

I've just sorted through the kids drawers - Em is rather attached to some too small clothes so I'll be turning them into something else too (so this month's theme is far from completion for me).

I've ditched my denim upcycling project. Not happy with what I've been working on thus far so that's been thrown back into the bag with disgust. I may get it back out again when I feel more inspired. (and I found a few pairs of jeans I don't love hiding in my drawer, so may add those to the bag to further inspire me).

I've pulled apart DH's old trackies (x2) and cut them out for James, just need to rethread my overlocker with black and whip them up...
Leanne

jhcsmum
TNN nerd

Post by jhcsmum » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:33 pm

I just lined the sleeves of DD's school polarfleece with Minky as she was complaining they were scratchy on her arms and she wanted me to buy her a new jersey. She suggested it on the way to school this morning suggested, hopefully that will keep her happy for a bit longer.
Deb
Stitch Marker Maker
Image Image

anotherhopeful
TNN nerd

Post by anotherhopeful » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:44 pm

this is not an amazing attempt, i realised my mistakes once i had finished it but at least i know what to do next time (before i cut into my merino haha)

anyway, made this long-sleeve top for DS for winter out of some left-over scraps and one of DH's old t-shirts...

Mum to Zak (April 09), Lockie (Jan 11) and Sadie (May 14)

Minty
TNN oracle

Post by Minty » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:30 pm

Ooh, oh, fun! Will post a picture tomorrow. :D
Nic
Two funny, gorgeous DDs.

The art of living is more like wrestling than dancing. — Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

Going button-crazy here. http://www.buttonsbybenji.blogspot.com/

goose
TNN nerd

Post by goose » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:43 pm

anotherhopeful wrote:this is not an amazing attempt, i realised my mistakes once i had finished it but at least i know what to do next time (before i cut into my merino haha

The top looks great :D I make muck-ups all the time, they just become 'home clothes' :lol: but that top looks fine in the photo anyhow.
Rachael (mum to DD1 8yrs, and DD2 5yrs)

anotherhopeful
TNN nerd

Post by anotherhopeful » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:46 pm

goose wrote:
anotherhopeful wrote:this is not an amazing attempt, i realised my mistakes once i had finished it but at least i know what to do next time (before i cut into my merino haha

The top looks great :D I make muck-ups all the time, they just become 'home clothes' :lol: but that top looks fine in the photo anyhow.

See how the back is almost as low as the v? its not meant to be hahaha i cut the back piece to small lol but it will be fine with a singlet underneath im sure! lol

its probably one of those things no one notices until we start pointing it out to them (just so we can get in first, just in case lol)
Mum to Zak (April 09), Lockie (Jan 11) and Sadie (May 14)

Minty
TNN oracle

Post by Minty » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:56 pm

Here's my wee project, not sewing, but glueing. (Actually its not even glued yet, but it will be when I get some glue :wink: ).

All second hand pieces of china. Some made in NZ, some made in England (Staffordshire), some old, some new, all white and blue.

I'll be sticking the plates and cups together with clear silicon, so that it is watertight (although I probably won't immerse in water to clean anyway), and food friendly.
Nic
Two funny, gorgeous DDs.

The art of living is more like wrestling than dancing. — Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

Going button-crazy here. http://www.buttonsbybenji.blogspot.com/

Cabbettenz
TNN nerd

Post by Cabbettenz » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:38 am

Wow ladies you have been busy. Love the cookie server

I have heaps of things I want to remake into clothes for DS, but it never seams to happen. must make for of an effort this month.

Return to “Monthly Craft focus”