questions from a first time quilter

goose
TNN nerd

questions from a first time quilter

Post by goose » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:42 pm

I'd love to make dd2 a quilt for her birthday, but have never made one before. I would like to make it from stash, not a combo of a few fabrics that coordinate but more likely a multitude of random fabrics. Has anyone made a quilt of all squares before? Is it easyish? Anything that could go terribly wrong? Do I need a quilting ruler?

:thx:
Rachael (mum to DD1 8yrs, and DD2 5yrs)

Kaz
TNN guru

Re: questions from a first time quilter

Post by Kaz » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:54 pm

I made one from a bunch of minky scraps (I'm not a quilter). The hard part was placing the squares so they would look random, it's actually quite hard to get it looking good.

I sewed them into strips then sewed the strips together, construction was quite easy.

I'd recommend a cutting mat, wheel and ruler which makes cutting much faster than with scissors.
You can never really take control of your life but you can control how you choose to live it.

sjl
TNN nerd

Post by sjl » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:45 pm

Ditto the recommendation on the ruler, rotary cutter and mat.
There's a tutorial here http://www.redpepperquilts.com/2012/04/ ... orial.html for one method.

Whatever you do don't try cutting out single squares and stitching them together, that way lies madness...
Strip piecing (either as per the tut or with more fabrics /longer strips depending on the size of your scraps) and working in blocks that can then be joined is much better.
Image Image

NPMum
TNN nerd

Post by NPMum » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:23 pm

Do strips and arrange them like a rainbow.

goose
TNN nerd

Post by goose » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:11 pm

That tutorial is perfect, thank you :D

I have a mat and a rotary cutter, used to have a quilting ruler but haven't seen it for a few years and have no idea where it's gone :?

Cool, will start choosing, ironing and cutting fabrics this evening :D

grizle
TNN nerd

Post by grizle » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:48 pm

Just note that tutorial is for a postage stamp quilt (basically very small/stamp sized pieces sewn together), so I'd be ignoring the sizes but follow the idea IYKWIM
Amanda - Mum to 3 beautiful boys

Angel
TNN guru

Post by Angel » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:58 pm

My first quilt was a basic set of squares, made into rows then stitch the rows together. I was really pleased with how it came out (back in 2008!)
Aimee http://www.ravelry.com/projects/angeldunedin
~ Ella - 11 years old ~ Toby - 8.5 years old ~ Olivia - 5.5 years old ~
ImageImage

Dunners
TNN oracle

Post by Dunners » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:38 pm

I made Emily a rainbow quilt, where each colour was made up a of a scrappy "coin stack" with that general colour. It was really effective & a lot of fun to make. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/88805423876279282/

I made this one for Nicky's friend http://www.pinterest.com/pin/88805423876279237/ It was a lot of fun to make, and is an alternative to squares being one-after-the-other for the entire top.

I've spent hours pinning ideas & reading tutorials. I have a 1E5 book that I've sketched designs I've found that I like (and I've coloured them in to help me remember the blocks etc). There are dozens of designs I can't wait to make (I just need the time!)

I found the switch to making quilts very addictive, you have been warned! :lol:
Leanne
Mum to 3 beautiful children
Image Small and Large pocket patterns available, for a small donation to Unicef. DIY kits also available for $5 each with free pattern. PM or email me for more info...

goose
TNN nerd

Post by goose » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:28 pm

grizle wrote:Just note that tutorial is for a postage stamp quilt (basically very small/stamp sized pieces sewn together), so I'd be ignoring the sizes but follow the idea IYKWIM
Yes, I think most of my scrap pieces are big enough to make the squares at least twice that size. I like the method though :D

goose
TNN nerd

Post by goose » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:30 pm

Leanne, I've seen pics of your quilts, they are beautiful! I've held off for a few years because I know it'll be a slippery slope from here 8-[

goose
TNN nerd

Post by goose » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:20 pm

I've made my first quilt front over the past week, am absolutely addicted now :rotfl:
I finally found my library card (at the library :oops: :roll: ) and issued a stack of quilting books. It would seem there are library staff who are quilters, cos they sure have a lot of quilting books, even modern ones :D I used the books as an excuse to check on my neighbour who was recently widowed, and we drank coffee while looking through the books before I decided on a pattern.
All of the fabric is from stash 8-) One fabric I've had for years after buying it in a Spotlight sale, and the other my MIL gave me from her fabric cupboard a few years ago. The back will be part of a sheet that was mine as a child and is now used on my girls' beds, and the binding is grey quilting fabric.
This morning I went into Napier to buy batting (got enough for 2 quilts this size, 107 by 146cm) and some quilting pins. I remember my mum using long pins, but these days they have curved safety pins, what a brilliant invention!

Will post a pic once it's completed, hopefully within a week :D

sjl
TNN nerd

Post by sjl » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:14 pm

go you! looking forward to the pics...
Image Image

Return to “Patterns and Links”